FUV as a backup generator?
    Go To Post #1
thought I'd check in and see what the status is,... I'd like to have my FUV ASAP to run errands, etc.

anyway not too long ago talked to a friend from my university days, and we were discussing the weather andvarious effects of the weather (like having power cut),... I'm in San Diego, where its been pretty dry (so much so we've had NO rain AND about a month ago some winter wild fires in the SoCal area), meanwhile on the east coast its been pretty cold and wet

that got me to thinking, another potential market (or accessory) for a FUV would be to act as a backup power supply

on the east coast w/ various storms my friends house lost power a couple of times over the past several years because summer and winter storms knocked down power lines

and w/ the recent wild fires here in SoCal some people living in the back country had their power cut because utility companies turned off the power to over head utility lines to prevent fires that might be caused by downed electrical lines

so perhaps another way to market the FUV is as a backup "utility" battery that could be used after winter storms knock down utility lines (in the east coast), or used by people in the SoCal area who might want an electric water pump to pull water out of a pool or a hot tub (in cases of a near by wild fire)

figure if musk is marketing his power wall idea, 

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

why not expand the concept of the arcimoto as a "utility" backup (this way people in regions that might not want to drive a FUV during "winter" can justify buying something that could be used in an emergency power outage)
[+] 1 user Likes ben's post
    Go To Post #1
(01-06-2018, 11:47 PM)ben Wrote: That got me to thinking, another potential market (or accessory) for a FUV would be to act as a backup power supply

Hi Ben.

I think Mark has already mentioned future plans to configure the FUVs to do exactly that.
And I think he said that it won't be all that difficult to do.

That with very serious plans for autonomous drive and Uber/sharing tells me that Arcimoto is looking far into the future.
And spending a lot of thought and energy on how to get there via the quickest route possible.

I believe that, after 10 years, the innovation has just begun.
That $11k base price is looking better all the time.

Does anyone else remember him mentioning the FUV's potential as an emergency power supply?
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
This should be easy to do with an FUV or any EV, but in an emergency I would want to keep the EV fully charged in case of need for a quick getaway. A heavier, cheaper fixed battery could supply emergency needs. I already have this.

When the smart grid starts developing, an EV that you don't need to keep fully charged can serve as energy storage, making the grid more efficient and reducing your power bill.
    Go To Post #1
Good use of Li-Ion battery packs from totaled LEAFs ...
    Go To Post #1
Anybody know what the FUVs pack voltage is?
My Polaris Ranger EV has a nominal pack voltage of 48 volts. This is compatible with off the shelf inverters .
So if the FUV has the right voltage, making power a house( within reason) would be easy.
But if the pack voltage is higher, and I’m guessing it is, finding an inverter might be difficult.
Not all electricity is equal!
    Go To Post #1
Hi all,

Yes, Mark has talked about this in the past. Using the vehicle pack as energy storage for emergency power supply is certainly possible. Additionally, some utilities are experimenting with different ways of managing loads, which may eventually include allowing consumers with alternative power generation and/or storage to feed energy back into the grid. At that point, something like charging your vehicle during off-peak and feeding energy back in during peak may be a viable way to offset some of your utility bill. (Reading back I see Dan already addressed this in his comment re: smart grids.)

All that said, providing access to the battery pack and an appropriate inverter is way down the list for development of "official options," mainly because the use case is (currently) relatively small compared to the time and thought required to make sure it is safe and compliant. But it IS on the list! Smile And Mendojen is right, nominal pack voltage is right around 100v.
    Go To Post #1
The focus needs to be on enclosure panels (and is), so no distractions please! Smile

Go To Post #1
One EV > power backup scheme I have seen is to connect a small 12V inverter to the 12V accessory battery in the EV. You would then need to “turn on” your EV so that the drive battery pack will keep the accessory battery charged. It might be possible to keep a refrigerator or furnace fan running for quite a while. Though you would want to be careful to choose an inverter that’s not going to pull more amps than what the DC>DC converter feeds the accessory battery. I wonder what the amp feed to the accessory battery is in the FUV.