Helmets and Endorsements
    Go To Post #1
Here are the updated maps for enclosed three-wheelers c/o Elio Motors...
States differ in their vehicle qualifications for not requiring helmets and/or MC endorsements/licenses.
These maps shows which states the Elio qualifies or does not qualify for the exemptions in. Other vehicles may or may not quality.
For instance: Some states require that an enclosed three-wheeled vehicle have a steering wheel to qualify for exemptions.

https://www.eliomotors.com/autocycle-and...i=60207634

.jpg   map_endorsements.jpg (Size: 37.89 KB / Downloads: 206)
.jpg   map_helmets.jpg (Size: 39.22 KB / Downloads: 206)
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
My wife and I are planning to take our motorcycle endorsement test so we are ready to roll when we take delivery of our FUV #_____.

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
(03-29-2018, 06:16 PM)Rickb Wrote: My wife and I are planning to take our motorcycle endorsement test so we are ready to roll when we take delivery of our FUV #_____.

Is that part of a motorcycle safety course in Idaho?
I know that some of the states have those courses for free or for a minimal fee...
And even provide Honda Rebels and Yamaha 250 V-stars (Viragos) for you to train and test on.

In some states, the "test" is actually part of the course.

What will you be taking your course/test on?
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
(03-29-2018, 06:23 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Is that part of a motorcycle safety course in Idaho?
I know that some of the states have those courses for free or for a minimal fee...
And even provide Honda Rebels and Yamaha 250 V-stars (Viragos) for you to train and test on.

In some states, the "test" is actually part of the course.

What will you be taking your course/test on?
We are taking the written portion of Idaho’s MC requirement and will schedule the riding portion ‘using the FUV’ after taking delivery of our FUV.  The cost is minimal.

Go To Post #1
The autocycle definitions for my area - Ks, Mo, Ok - all define an autocycle as having a steering wheel and other automobile features, so the FUV will never fall under the helmet exemption (only Mo requires helmets for adults) or MC license requirements until and unless specific changes are written into the legal definition of an autocycle to include the Arcimoto. I think it will be a few years before Arcimoto's market penetration is large enough in this area to make it a likely possibility. A shift in the makeup of the State legislatures toward a more eco-friendly set of politicians in the majority could make this happen sooner than later, but I ain't holding my breath. This is the heart of Dumbf*ckistan after all.
    Go To Post #1
WA state requires that a driver of a three wheel motorcycle have a three wheel MC endorsement and wear a helmet if the vehicle has handle bars. It is exempted from the helmet if it has a steering wheel, full roll cage enclosure and seat belts. Some where I though I read something a little different about the helmet requirement but I can not find it.  I need to talk to state patrol and DOL.

Any way, we, my wife and I took the endorsement written test to get permits. The test questions were multiple answer type of questions.  We studied tons of MC practice tests but I had a hidden fear that the three wheel written test would be different.   AND it was - some really tough questions . You need to get 20 out of 25 to pass,  When I turned mine in I was not sure on about ten questions- like " When flying a side car in a turn what do you do to bring it back down?" the answers had multiple part answers with 3 of the 4 parts being correct but the 4th part incorrect and often the  final option was  "none of these"   . Susan missed 6 and somehow I missed only 2 -  pleasant surprise for me and a little disappointing for her. She will pass it next time.
So I can now drive back from Eugene.   Er -assuming I get it licensed properly.
[+] 1 user Likes PAX's post
    Go To Post #1
Texas

Helmets: Helmets are not required for the driver if they have completed a motorcycle safety class and have $10K insurance. Helmets ARE required for passengers under the age of 21.

Endorsements: After completing a written and driving test and safety class from an approved trainer at a cost of $150 to $300, a driver will receive a slip of paper that can be taken to the Department of Public Safety for an MC endorsement. The class lasts about two days. No testing is done at the DPS for an MC endorsement. DPS will charge you another $16 to update your drivers license. If you take the safety class for a 3WMC, the MC endorsement has a P restriction limiting you to a minimum of three wheels. The rules change a little bit if you have gotten an MC endorsement prior to 2009. If you plan to take the safety class with an FUV, check with the trainer.

An autocycle just requires a standard drivers license without a helmet or MC endorsement.
    Go To Post #1
(05-16-2018, 11:26 PM)PAX Wrote: WA state requires that a driver of a three wheel motorcycle have a three wheel MC endorsement and wear a helmet if the vehicle has handle bars. It is exempted from the helmet if it has a steering wheel, full roll cage enclosure and seat belts. Some where I though I read something a little different about the helmet requirement but I can not find it.  I need to talk to state patrol and DOL.

Any way, we, my wife and I took the endorsement written test to get permits. The test questions were multiple answer type of questions.  We studied tons of MC practice tests but I had a hidden fear that the three wheel written test would be different.   AND it was - some really tough questions . You need to get 20 out of 25 to pass,  When I turned mine in I was not sure on about ten questions- like " When flying a side car in a turn what do you do to bring it back down?" the answers had multiple part answers with 3 of the 4 parts being correct but the 4th part incorrect and often the  final option was  "none of these"   . Susan missed 6 and somehow I missed only 2 -  pleasant surprise for me and a little disappointing for her. She will pass it next time.
So I can now drive back from Eugene.   Er -assuming I get it licensed properly.
30 day Manufacturer/Dealer Plates should get you home. Don’t forget to add the FUV motorcycle to your vehicle insurance policy prior to pickup and your FUV trip home.

Go To Post #1
(05-17-2018, 04:35 PM)shome Wrote: Texas

Endorsements: After completing a written and driving test and safety class from an approved trainer at a cost of $150 to $300, a driver will receive a slip of paper that can be taken to the Department of Public Safety for an MC endorsement.  The class lasts about two days.  
This going to privatized trainers is a bit of a rip off-  The test the other day cost me $40  and the trainer spent 3 minutes with me.. He did give Susan a break as she was suppose to pay $40 also and he just tore up her test paper, Of course there were 4 other people taking the test also.

In WA we  have the option to take a training class or just the two test - written and driving.   The training would be in Seattle - 60 miles away and cost $125(limited state subsidy) to $325. This is a 16 hour training over 2 days,   The two test without training can be taken locally will total about $100. 
Interesting Spyder Cam- am is subsidizing the full courses in some places at $75 and you don't need  to have one of there bikes

(05-17-2018, 05:57 PM)Rickb Wrote: 30 day Manufacturer/Dealer Plates should get you home.  Don’t forget to add the FUV motorcycle to your vehicle insurance policy prior to pickup and your FUV trip home.

Rick - that might work but I am hoping to have the real plate for clandestine reasons.

My biggest concern with the helmet and endorsement laws is how it will affect sales in WA - that this will be discouraging to a number of people who would otherwise be very interested in getting a FUV.

The only issue with the Arcimoto in WA is the lack of a steering wheel thus a driver needs an endorsement AND needs to wear a helmet. That last really bothers me - riding seat belted in with a helmet - seems stupid.   i checked with our DOL and it will take  a legislative amendment to change the law.
[+] 1 user Likes PAX's post
    Go To Post #1
Sounds like Arcimoto plans to help work towards amending the autocycle legislation nationwide State by State.  If it happens over the next year or two, the MC endorsement and helmet requirements will only impact early adopters with no serious impact on sales.  IMO  No way I’m wearing a helmet in a partially enclosed roll over protected and seatbelt equipped vehicle.  That would be less safe.

I plan to drive my Arcimoto over to my Senator’s office to request he sponsor a bill to amend the current autocycle definition to fit the FUV and other future three wheelers  to hit the market. He will definitely want a test drive and likely place an order shortly after.   I hope Arcimoto has drafted an inclusive universal autocycle definition by that time to cover the FUV nationwide that I can use in my local effort.

Note:  When he sponsored the initial Idaho autocycle bill which passed in 2016, the Arcimoto SRK had a steering wheel.  Smile