Licensing is difficult in Texas
    Go To Post #1
I checked in WA and if you have a three wheeled motorcycle with a roll bar and seat belts you are exempt from the helmet requirement. The FUV will have to be approved for this by the WA state patrol.   I will still need a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license
    Go To Post #1
When I contacted my Idaho State Senator back in 2016 about introducing an autocycle bill he did and it passed. The Elio and the Arcimoto both had steering wheels prior to the SRK Gen8’s handlebar configuration. Had I known about that engineering change at the time, the autocycle definition would been worded differently to include the new FUV. It sounds like the A Team will contact individual States to somehow amend legislation to include the FUV’s platform to eliminate the need for MC endorsements and helmet requirements. I believe the State Department of Vehicle commissions will be receptive, but will be a time consumer. Too bad they all were steering wheel specific.

Go To Post #1
Here in the mountain Wild West, they even let people dirve 2-stroke ATVs on the roads, without seat belts or helmets. But an FUV will be a motorcycle and requires a motorcycle endorsement, but no helmet. It never hurts anyone to add to their skills and get a motorcycle endorsement. I thought about writing my State Senator, but it is too risky. It seems that wild west freedoms do not extend to renewable energy or the environment. I am in the middle of a discussion with my State Senator, who is supporting a bill to treat environmental activism like terrorism. I think I will leave the autocycle thing alone.
    Go To Post #1
(02-17-2018, 02:40 PM)DanCooper Wrote: Here in the mountain Wild West, they even let people dirve 2-stroke ATVs on the roads, without seat belts or helmets. But an FUV will be a motorcycle and requires a motorcycle endorsement, but no helmet. It never hurts anyone to add to their skills and get a motorcycle endorsement. I thought about writing my State Senator, but it is too risky. It seems that wild west freedoms do not extend to renewable energy or the environment. I am in the middle of a discussion with my State Senator, who is supporting a bill to treat environmental activism like terrorism. I think I will leave the autocycle thing alone.
I hadn’t thought about the politics of EVs being a roadblock to passing legislation to benefit future FUV Owners, but technically the FUV can’t be sold in the red States that have anti-direct to consumer sales legislation on the books.  What happened to the free enterprise platform?  Time to get NADA’s big money and the special interest mentality out of office and back to politics that is of, by, and for ALL the PEOPLE.........not just of, by, and for the 1%. 

Note:  If you view this as a political rant and not fact, please delete my post.

Go To Post #1
(02-17-2018, 12:53 AM)Rickb Wrote: When I contacted my Idaho State Senator back in 2016 about introducing an autocycle bill he did and it passed.  The Elio and the Arcimoto both had steering wheels prior to the SRK Gen8’s handlebar configuration.  Had I known about that engineering change at the time, the autocycle definition would been worded differently to include the new FUV.  It sounds like the A Team will contact individual States to somehow amend legislation to include the FUV’s platform to eliminate the need for MC endorsements and helmet requirements.   I believe the State Department of  Vehicle commissions will be receptive,  but will be a time consumer.  Too bad they all were steering wheel specific.

FYI: FL data point: Regarding the change from wheel to handlebars. FL does have an autocycle bill that has passed and will become law in the next few months. Unfortunately a FL autocycle specifically requires a steering wheel so FUV cannot technically be registered as an autocycle. It must be registered as a 3-wheeled MC. A 3 wheeled MC requires a special endorsement. Having a 3-wheeled MC endorsement specifically does not allow you to drive a 2 wheel MC and having a 2 wheeled MC license specifically does not allow you to drive a 3-wheeled MC. The FL state law is very clear about this. 
Hoping the A team contacts FL in this process.
    Go To Post #1
Having a 3-wheeled MC endorsement specifically does not allow you to drive a 2 wheel MC and having a 2 wheeled MC license specifically does not allow you to drive a 3-wheeled MC. The FL state law is very clear about this. 

That sounds like the right thing to me (so long as the tests and so on are 2- or 3- wheel specific for each). The two beasts are really different from one another - driving, safety, etc. Why would you want to change it?
    Go To Post #1
The autocycle definition should have been about the vehicle platform in terms of safety......roll bars, stability, enclosure, etc. How it’s steered or how you sit seem unimportant and restrictive. Frankly, handle bar steering may be more responsive and the FUV’s higher platform improves the driver’s ability to see and to be seen by other drivers giving the FUV a slight safety edge in accident prevention.

I don’t mind the Mc endorsement requirements, heck all licensed drivers should be required to take the written MC test to better understand and appreciate MC riders. It would make us all safer on the roads in general.

Go To Post #1
Ha! I just looked up Missouri law to see if they defined an autocycle. They do, and in addition to the steering wheel, seat belt, full enclosure, roll cage etc., Missouri stipulates it be equipped with an air bag!
https://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/20...n-304.005/

So forget registering the FUV as an autocycle in Missouri. We may not need helmets here in Kansas or Oklahoma & Arkansas, but we're definitely going to need them if we cross over into Missouri. On an optimistic point, there are regular attempts to loosen the helmet laws in Missouri, but so far they have all been vetoed once the bill reaches the Governor's desk. Maybe one will get through.
    Go To Post #1
(02-17-2018, 07:31 PM)SparkE Wrote: Having a 3-wheeled MC endorsement specifically does not allow you to drive a 2 wheel MC and having a 2 wheeled MC license specifically does not allow you to drive a 3-wheeled MC. The FL state law is very clear about this. 

That sounds like the right thing to me (so long as the tests and so on are 2- or 3- wheel specific for each). The two beasts are really different from one another - driving, safety, etc. Why would you want to change it?

I wasn't advocating a change in how FL deals with 3 wheeled motorcycles. The typical 3 wheeled motorcycle with a single wheel in front and handles differently than a 2 wheeled motorcycle. 

I simply wish the FUV to be considered by FL, and other states, to be more like an autocycle when considering its increased stability and safety compared to typical 2 and 3 wheeled motorcycles.

Also, to speak to the gorrilla in the room, while each of us is passionate enough to elect to take the time and money to earn a 3-wheeled motorcycle endorsement, and its hard to argue against educating the average driver about motorcycle safety, none of my friends or family have 3-wheeled motorcycle endorsements. I couldn't legally allow any of them to take the FUV out for a test drive. Hmmm... considering some of my friends this actually might be a good thing (grin).

Arcmoto was in Tampa last year doing test drives.
I wonder if they let them drive on the road with normal drivers licenses.
Requiring a 3-wheeled MC license in FL will put a damper on sales I should think.
    Go To Post #1
(02-17-2018, 05:06 PM)Rickb Wrote: I hadn’t thought about the politics of EVs being a roadblock to passing legislation to benefit future FUV Owners, but technically the FUV can’t be sold in the red States that have anti-direct to consumer sales legislation on the books.  What happened to the free enterprise platform?  Time to get NADA’s big money and the special interest mentality out of office and back to politics that is of, by, and for ALL the PEOPLE.........not just of, by, and for the 1%.

A point that I think a lot of people agree with and would like to support.

Here's a separate link to the ongoing process in some of the states regarding direct CAR sales.
 https://electrek.co/2018/02/14/tesla-pus...ly-states/

As I understand it, a few states' direct sales laws differ between MCs and Cars, but many don't.
Here's the Tesla map which shows the state-by-state status for direct car sales...

.jpg   tesla_sales_map.jpg (Size: 141.18 KB / Downloads: 43)
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.