Charging
    Go To Post #1
A key component to your FUV experience or any to any EV experience will be charging.
Public or home? Clean or grid? Free or pay? Prices? Your own local accessibility?

Give me all you've got on existing/planned infrastructure...
Local and regional public charging policy...
Home installation comparisons...
Compatibility...

Articles, links and videos.
Your thoughts, plans and things you'd like to see.
EV Brand/Station adapters. When will the majors adopt a universal standard?

It's a wide open subject and one that will greatly affect your EV experience for as long as you own your EV.

.jpg   bhills_charging.jpg (Size: 73.76 KB / Downloads: 297)
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
I have an unused 240-v circuit in my house. (former electric kitchen range)  I intend to use it to power a level-2 charging station in my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071K874MG/?co..._lig_dp_it
    Go To Post #1
I'll make my own cord to connect to my 50A welding or 50A RV outlets. As for out and about I will try the "PlugShare" android ap on my smartphone to locate nearby charging stations. I hope AM provides a charging cord with several adapters such as for; house wall outlets, Dryer outlets, and RV outlets as a minimum.
    Go To Post #1
My scenario is pretty easy. I very very rarely drive more than 130 miles in a day (extended battery pack), and I can park my FUV in the garage right by the 220 outlet. On the rare occasion I do exceed that mileage, I'm usually doing service at am RV park in the mountains (and I'm sure they'd love a discount to let me plug in while I work) or heading to the coast where they have plenty of charging stations.

Eugene is a very "green" area where charging stations have been popping up for ten years. Even one of the local wineries has them. Big Grin
    Go To Post #1
At present we charge our EV truck from a 110 outlet, We have solar panels which produce way more KWHs than we use in truck per year. Our electric company acts as a battery for us when we produce more than we use. For our normal use the 110 easily keeps the truck charged.

For the FUV I bought a portable EVSE that will work on either 110 or 220 with corresponding charge rates- neither super fast. For trips i plan on using existing charge system, including the pay ones- ouch but thus is life.  i personally am not worried about speed of charge. My wife and I are both retired and do a lot of sail boat cruising (at 5 Knots max) and we just go with the flow and accept what we can not change.
    Go To Post #1
My wife and I recently purchased a BMW i3.  Awesome machine.  Currently, we charge the car overnight with standard 110V.  Our i3 is a range extender version, so if electric power is low, we have another 70 miles on tap with the gas generator.  We also have access to Level 2 chargers, including Level 3 DC fast charge stations, near our workplace.  I imagine when the FUV comes on board, we may commit to a home Level 2 station.  Or not.  110V seems to work fine for now.
[Image: IMG_0471.jpg]
    Go To Post #1
I rent a small cottage behind someone's house.  They let me install a 220v outlet near a corner of the garage near the driveway, which I park on the front/side of.  I also had the electrician cut a hole in the garage wall near the outlet, which is inside, and install a plate with a handle - kind of like a kitty door.  The portable Panasonic unit I have won't fit thru the hole, but the connector does, (of course).  The means no one can steal it.  I use a garden hose rack outside to wrap the cord around when not in use.  The whole job cost me $600.
[+] 1 user Likes EZRyder's post
    Go To Post #1
Regular 110 as well as a 25 amp 220 unit. Just as important, but unknown, is what is the amp limit of the on-board charger, either for the standard battery or for the extended battery. You can have a fast unit in your garage, but the on-board charger is the real limiting factor.
[+] 1 user Likes alexanmh's post
    Go To Post #1
(04-07-2018, 09:21 PM)alexanmh Wrote: Regular 110 as well as a 25 amp 220 unit.  Just as important, but unknown, is what is the amp limit of the on-board charger, either for the standard battery or for the extended battery.  You can have a fast unit in your garage, but the on-board charger is the real limiting factor.

And the on board charger has to take into account the batteries ability to safely be charged at that rate. You are correct that  the charger will not go over its charging amps no matter how many amp circuit it is hooked to.
    Go To Post #1
From one of our EE's in response to a recent info@ thread:

"If you are installing a new outlet (And if your current breaker can support it) I would recommend a 240V, 40A service to be installed where you want to put your EVSE (charging station). The vehicle will only pull up to 13A (on either 120V or 240V), but many EVSEs are designed for 32A continuous operation, and most come with a NEMA 6-50 connector or a hardwired version. If you decide to get another, larger EV in the future or have visitors with EVs, it is nicer (In my opinion) to have a larger charging station to accommodate them. Otherwise, you'll just need a 20A service, although you will be limited to the EVSEs you can use.

Let me know if you have any further questions about choosing an EVSE, there are lots of options out there, and they depend on your budget and plans for charging your vehicle or others."
[+] 1 user Likes Eric Fritz's post