FUV Trailers
    Go To Post #1
Made a new thread:

(04-23-2018, 05:38 AM)Rickb Wrote: Would the 85# single wheel Eaglemate tow behind the FUV?  Open or enclosed, just like the FUV.  
https://www.eaglematetrailers.com/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fmQs19sTdbg

Interesting, I thought of a one wheel earlier today and searched it and found a number of options.. What I think would work good with the FUV is a swivel wheel one made with aluminum frame (epoxied and bolted). Frame would be   two arms from swivel bearing support  to a cross bar in front of rear wheels with a trailer hitch type of connection.   I think I can build one that weighs less than 50# with out container box.  I will build several sizes of boxesthat can be switched easily - the biggest should not weigh more than 30#..  Foam and CF is very light weight and strong!

Similar but too big:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/280...b180_z.jpg   this is bigger than I am thinking
    Go To Post #1
The only advantage to a single wheel trailer is that they are designed to lean with the motorcycle in curves & turns. This is not relevant to the FUV, which does not lean. The additional rolling resistance of a second trailer wheel is negligible, as is the additional weight. Traditional dual wheel trailers are considerably more stable as well as having lower tongue weights. Single wheel trailers place ALL of their cargo weight ahead of the single rear wheel. Dual wheel motorcycle trailers balance the load over the axle. You cannot use a standard ball hitch with a single wheel trailer. The trailer must not be able to twist or lean independently of the motorcycle or serious instability will result.
    Go To Post #1
(04-24-2018, 12:46 AM)jimball Wrote: The only advantage to a single wheel trailer is that they are designed to lean with the motorcycle in curves & turns.  This is not relevant to the FUV, which does not lean.  The additional rolling resistance of a second trailer wheel is negligible, as is the additional weight.   Traditional dual wheel trailers are considerably more stable as well as having lower tongue weights.  Single wheel trailers place ALL of their cargo weight ahead of the single rear wheel.  Dual wheel motorcycle trailers balance the load over the axle.  You cannot use a standard ball hitch with a single wheel trailer.  The trailer must not be able to twist or lean independently of the motorcycle or serious instability will result.

Hey Jimball, I think different on many things you said. One- weight the second wheel means more structure and weight and definitely some more rolling resistance which is dependent  on weight being towed. Considerably more stable is a very general statement - Stability depends on design and weight and the fact that it will be firmly attached to the FUV tells me it will be very stable. The frame can be built fairly low so that will also increase stability.  Center of weight is basic geometry and it can be designed  such that weight is behind the wheel. Search pivoting wheel trailers and you will see some. Regular trailer ball- of course you cannot use it with this type of trailer which is why I called out a cross bar support in front of the FUV rear wheel. .
My thoughts are for a trailer that weighs less than 50# - 75# with box and can carry 200# load Max. so total of 275#- compared to a two wheel that starts out at 150-200# and add 200# load - up to 400# ouch.   My trailer will be less than 48" behind the rear wheel- maybe as little as 36" and the weight will be shared with the wheel. 

Oh and then add parking, backing up. I will be able to parallel park in a regular car space- try that with your type of trailer. That alone is a big advantage to a single pivoting wheel trailer. I think it will be a great trailer set up- will let you know after I get it built.
[+] 1 user Likes PAX's post
    Go To Post #1
Where and how will a trailer hitch fit on the FUV.   Interesting engineering question isn't it?  At first I was thinking hooking it up to the rear axle area but then I realized that had issues with adding unsprung weight which affects ride and possibly handling.  The only option I see is a "U" shaped frame that hooks into the main frame/battery box unit and goes each side of the rear wheel.
Any thoughts
    Go To Post #1
I just ordered a small aluminum trailer frame from Northern Tool for my FUV.
[Image: mini_trailer.jpg]
I wanted to go with aluminum because it's light weight and corrosion resistant. (I live on the Oregon Coast).  I had considered the complete motorcycle trailer that Northern for around $500+shipping but the frame is steel and weighs about 200lbs.
My plan is to build a "micro" teardrop storage box for it as I think it will look cool.  Though I may just get a rigid car top cargo box to fit the frame.
[+] 1 user Likes CreativeGuy's post
    Go To Post #1
That trailer looks as functional and affordable as the FUV that will pull it.  I’m guessing you might color match it to your FUV to make it ultra cool. Smile

Go To Post #1
(04-25-2018, 05:31 PM)CreativeGuy Wrote: I just ordered a small aluminum trailer frame from Northern Tool for my FUV.
[Image: mini_trailer.jpg]
I wanted to go with aluminum because it's light weight and corrosion resistant. (I live on the Oregon Coast).  I had considered the complete motorcycle trailer that Northern for around $500+shipping but the frame is steel and weighs about 200lbs.
My plan is to build a "micro" teardrop storage box for it as I think it will look cool.  Though I may just get a rigid car top cargo box to fit the frame.

Welcome to the gang, CreativeGuy.
Do you have a link to that trailer perhaps?

Update: Found it.
Ebay/Northern Equipment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Tow-40in-....l4275.c10
Aluminum frame and fenders. 40"x48" bed. 134lb. empty. 1200lb. GVW.
$419 and Free Shipping. Nice. I like it.
It would be great with a poly clamshell carrier mounted on top.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
Okay- I give up! What?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=274]-
    Go To Post #1
Ah- now I get it.
I am visualizing something quite a bit different than that trailer. The two arm attachments to the FUV will be much wider, and lower. The overall length will be half of that trailer behind the rear wheel. Pins would work but I am thinking more of a quick release ball and socket that will allow the trailer wheel to rise and lower as the road dictates and flexibility when hooking the trailer up.
    Go To Post #1
(04-25-2018, 05:43 PM)Rickb Wrote: That trailer looks as functional and affordable as the FUV that will pull it.  I’m guessing you might color match it to your FUV to make it ultra cool. Smile

Hi Rickb,
I plan to either have the trailer painted to match my FUV or have a natural wood grain "woodie" look.
Cheers,