FUV Trailers
    Go To Post #1
(05-14-2018, 10:17 PM)ricschug Wrote: Anyone ever consider a roof rack instead of a trailer?
The SOLO has a roof rack, so it could be a likely option for the FUV as well. Old geezer me would rather hook up and load a trailer than wrestle attaching and loading a roof rack, but would work for many.

Go To Post #1
The FUV has a tall, narrow profile. I would be concerned about things getting top-heavy with a roof rack.. Probably just fine with a surfboard or skis, but I'd be leery of a cargo box. Yes, the battery pack keeps the CG low, but it is still something to be aware of. A trailer is a better solution, imho. A small trailer will have low rolling resistance and, being tucked behind the FUV, will have less air resistance than anything mounted to the roof.

There's been a few remarks about just how Arcimoto would attach a trailer hitch to the FUV. I took a look at trailer hitches on the Can-Am Spyder which, as you know, has the same 'tadpole' wheel configuration as the FUV. Surprise! They mount the hitch to the rear swing-arm!
[+] 1 user Likes jimball's post
    Go To Post #1
Yes, a much higher vehicle profile than the SOLOws, which is why Arcimoto is offering the side rack carrier for surfboards and that occasional sheet of plywood. Smile

Go To Post #1
(05-14-2018, 07:03 PM)Rickb Wrote: I’m still hung up on the eaglemate trailer receiver hitch design.  Simple attachment, away from the rear wheel and at a high level for ease of attaching a light weight single wheel trailer.  Could attach with a pin or possibly a typical trailer ball.   Curious if Arcimoto engineer’s have an opinion on this or already have a receiver hitch designed/engineered and ready to roll.  Eric?

I wouldn't trust that connection with any weight at all. Those mounts are for a sissy bar, bags and not much more.
I'm talking MC. The sissy bar connection points are mounts in a barely re-enforced stamped sheet metal fender.

The outside of the fender is in turn connected to the actual frame by only the four bolts shown 3/4 of the way to the front of the fender.

The reason for this is that the fender, seat and connected frame are "sprung" weight for a smoother ride.
That fender w' seat could radically bend and twist with a small amount of lateral or axial force exerted from a trailer/bar.
I haven't tried it, but I'm sure I could actually go out and slightly "flex" it all by hand by exerting lateral pressure on the sissy bar.

And that's both on MCs. Backpacks/luggage on the sissy bar: yes. Saddlebags mounted on those connection points: yes.
Those items only exert insignificant axial force and acceptable downward force on the "free-floating" fender/seat/shock/frame combination.

That whole back fender area just kind of hangs unsupported out there in space.
You can see the two flimsy bolts per side connecting the front of the fender to the frame.
There are two hidden bolts below the seat area for a total of (6) connecting the fender to the frame.

The 650 only has one hidden progressive shock similar to the FUV as compared to the Virago's two external shocks.

The sissy bar connection points are the flimsy bolt that isn't connected to the shock, and the rear signal connection mount site.
The sissy bar also attaches to the fender via a very small bolt on the top of the fender just behind the seat.

You can see how even moderate lateral force would bend and twist the fender and send it into contact with the rear tire or worse.

.jpg   95_virago1.jpg (Size: 73.25 KB / Downloads: 130)
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
    Go To Post #1
My Trailer Update: Many of you know that the $419. trailer frame I ordered from Northern Tool was way back ordered so I cancelled it. Perusing Craigslist last week I came upon an incredible deal I just couldn’t pass up.

[Image: CA1934_BD_AE5_F_44_DB_BE04_2_E680165_F7_D3.jpg]
[Image: A702_ADEC_7085_4_AF2_BC3_E_4_D7_B39361085.jpg]

$200.00 and just 20 miles away from me. It is a steel frame that I will need to sand and repaint and the lights need replacing but I just couldn’t pass it up. I may still build a “teardrop” box for it or just use it as is. I know it’s jumping the gun a little seeings that the trailer option may take a while to make it to my FUV but it will be a handy little trailer to pull behind my Juke too.
[+] 2 users Like CreativeGuy's post