Transportation Game Changer
    Go To Post #1
Yep, I'm in the roll cage camp.  My uncle lost his foot in a motorcycle accident after being hit by a drunk driver.  Only last month, I came upon a lane-splitter motorcyclist who took a fall when someone veered in his lane.  Fortunately a number of motorists stopped to help him out, but it was obvious he was hurting.  Kudos to those who ride without worry, but I wouldn't mind a little protection.  I'm willing to bet that aspect alone will pull in new riders who otherwise wouldn't consider a typical motorcycle.
[+] 2 users Like Tightapex's post
    Go To Post #1
(04-25-2018, 07:49 PM)Sniffy Wrote: I disagree, on this point.  The Spyder, with it's tadpole configuration, is likely to be a very similar riding experience to the Arcimoto.  In my opinion, that's a good thing!

On your other points, I am in agreement.  The Arcimoto will have a much greater market appeal than the Spyder, for reasons you have stated.  Still though, I will be very pleasantly surprised if they exceed 100K units annually.

Good point!  Three things similar counting the tadpole configuration and the feel of riding a motocycle.  There in lies the fun factor of the FUV. 

100K unit’s per year would indicate a good level of market acceptance and likely make the company profitable.  If the fleet sales market demand is there, production numbers have potential to skyrocket.

Go To Post #1
I think that the SRK demographic is different from, and *possibly* larger, than the Spyder. I would be interested in a SRK, but would never buy a Spyder. I don't want a motorcycle - I want a fuel-efficient electric vehicle for "around town" that would mainly be for me, but would also fit a second person when it needed to. ("around town" being 90% of my trips in a 30-mile circle around my house, most of which are under 20 miles round-trip). And, although *most* of my trips are on city/suburban streets and some are one "expressways" (45 mph limit), being able to jump on the freeway and do 70 the few times a month I might want to hit that fantastic Chinese restaurant three cities over or go see the Sharks play hockey is a big plus.

At the moment, that need is met by my leased Spark EV (it also seats 4 and has great cargo room if there are only two of us in the car). But when my lease is up, an SRK might fit the bill. (I have never had more than 1 other person in the Spark, but my wife has.)

In terms of "market", the SRK is also less expensive than EVERY model Can Am offers, and is (at a minimum) partially enclosed (for better protection). The CanAm would be better for road trips (over 150 miles/day) but I have no problem using my (relatively) low-polluting gasmobile for freeway trips further away - it's where the gas engine shines (easy, quick refills, and travel for long distances at a high speed at constant RPM).

*I* view the SRK as an efficient (over 6 m/kWh) EV for local use for me and maybe someone else (in a pinch). I am sure that there are many others who are looking at it for other reasons, but I also bet that there are quite a few thousand who are in my boat.

PS: If I lived in San Francisco, I think that I would love the SRK even more! There would be lots and lots of essentially *reserved* parking spaces for it - all the electric charging spots downtown, as well as the "narrow" spaces between houses. SF has a LOT of "row houses" (2- or 3- story buildings that touch each other, with multiple apartments : one or two on each floor). Often (3 or 4 or 8 times a block) the driveways are too close together for most cars, but the Fiat500, the Smart ForTwo, and the SRK will fit there (and almost no other vehicles except motorcycles will fit there). So, "reserved" parking all over the city instead of driving for 5 or 15 minutes to find a spot (been there, done that)!!
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
    Go To Post #1
(04-25-2018, 08:45 PM)Rickb Wrote: If the fleet sales market demand is there, production numbers have potential to skyrocket.

I somehow always manage to forget that very important point.  The Arcimoto folks have indicated many times they have their eyes clearly on that prize.  2019 should be a very exciting year for them, (and hopefully for us too!)
    Go To Post #1
In California, a HUGE market could be "ride sharing in destination cities". Some one in San Diego (i think) is doing exactly that with the SRK. Similar to ZipCar concept (reserved parking, rent for X hours, return), this would be huge for visitors to tourist destinations. They could have multiple "main" sites, or (AND!) partner with hotels to make EVs available to guests for the day or half-day to visit the in-town sites. It is ecologically sound, the vehicle costs half (or less) than a vehicle, and has a range of 130 miles for "day trips". A partnership with (say) "Days Inn" or "Best Western" would allow their guests to not just to have the vehicles, but as they drive from (say) San Diego to Santa Barbara to drop off their unit for charging while they pick up another one for local sightseeing for several hours, then drive back to SD with the original, which was fully charged during their tourist visit.
    Go To Post #1
(04-25-2018, 08:45 PM)Rickb Wrote: Good point!  Three things similar counting the tadpole configuration and the feel of riding a motocycle.  There in lies the fun factor of the FUV. 

100K unit’s per year would indicate a good level of market acceptance and likely make the company profitable.  If the fleet sales market demand is there, production numbers have potential to skyrocket.

If I'm not mistaken, 100K units per year would add up to $1.19 Billion in sales per year.
Yeah, I'm thinking that would probably make the company profitable... Smile
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 2 users Like DiscjockeyDale's post
    Go To Post #1
The FUV is truly a crossover vehicle. By bridging the gap between a motorcycle and a car it can truly appeal to both sets of folks. Its size appeals to city folks and with a little better range it can appeal to county folks as well. I can not think of anything on the road today with such a potential for such a broad appeal.
[+] 2 users Like ricschug's post
    Go To Post #1
(04-27-2018, 01:00 PM)ricschug Wrote: The FUV is truly a crossover vehicle. By bridging the gap between a motorcycle and a car it can truly appeal to both sets of folks. Its size appeals to city folks and with a little better range it can appeal to county folks as well. I can not think of anything on the road today with such a potential for such a broad appeal.

I agree, I am one of those "county" people and feel that with the extended range battery it will fill my transportation needs very well.
    Go To Post #1
Yes, the FUV is first three wheeler autocycle platform to hit the marketplace and it doesn’t meet ‘some’ State autocycle definitions because of how it’s steered.  Autos of the future may not have steering wheels.  We need a universal Autocycle definition that covers the FUV and any future eco-friendly three wheeler concepts that will likely follow after Arcimoto has proven public acceptance.

The MC endorsement and helmet requirements in some states may be a hurdle many potential FUV Owners aren’t willing to jump. Hopefully, Arcimoto leads the effort in a state by state or Federal legislative change with that all-inclusive autocycle definition.  A roll cage, or enclosure options, seat belt restraints, stability, etc. are far more critical features than how a vehicle is steered.

Go To Post #1
(04-26-2018, 11:13 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, 100K units per year would add up to $1.19 Billion in sales per year.
Yeah, I'm thinking that would probably make the company profitable... Smile
Arcimoto’s production targets:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post