The Glorious Northeast
    Go To Post #1
My mistake, Elio is front wheel drive. Probably with a normal differential, as opposed to the software differential in the SRK that adjusts wheel speed according to steering angle. The Elio looks like a really good vehicle for what it does (travelling and commuting, gasoline powered, 2 seat tandem). Their performance figures are totally sensible, given the physics of it. What doesn't make sense is the price ($7450). They say they did all sorts of things to reduce manufacturing costs, but each of those incurs engineering and tooling costs. And they have all sorts of expensive features. If they really can sell it for that, they should find a large market, but I still think the business model can only lead to defrauding investors instead of starting production.
    Go To Post #1
Yeah, I don't hold out hope for Elio. I think too many people have been burned. Its too bad. Was a great product, from everything I saw.
I had a hard time believing their 84 mpg. Would have to see it to believe it. Even with the low weight and aerodynamics, few motorcycles get over 60 mpg. The price didn't make sense to me either. Even with hyper-mass-production, I can't see it being that low.

I did like the video of the Elio in the snow. At least it was faster than 9 mph (That Spyder had ZERO traction). Elio definitely showed promise. Ah, well.

Their loss is Arcimoto's gain!!
    Go To Post #1
I think 84 mpg is reasonable for Elio. It is very streamlined, and about half the weight of a car, and a little more than half the frontal area of a car. A motorcycle is not streamlined, even with a fairing. As to the Spyder traction, he was doing everything to spin it out. If he had gone light on the throttle, like you would on the street in snow, it would be a different story.

And it would have made a dull video.
    Go To Post #1
I rewatched the Spyder video, and have to disagree with you. Coming out of the fence, any time trying to straight line it, there wasn't a moment when he had forward stability. I didn't get the impression that he was gunning it. The parking lot could have been very icy under the snow, could've had summer tire, but I don't think there was a sandcastle's chance he was getting anywhere near the street under any amount of throttle.

Slingshot, Spyder, Vanderhall all average mpg in the high 20's. The only cars getting over 50 mpg are hybrids. Few ICE-only cars make it into the 40's. The only motorcycle I heard of getting 80 mpg was the Honda Rebel 250, at one quarter the weight and one less tire rolling resistance. I still have doubts.
    Go To Post #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzJqvaKzRS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mA5daYpTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQWrvoKg-Gs

Sorry, but I love debate. Good, strong, healthy debate. Not mean, personal stuff. I'm all for bolstering my own viewpoint, or being proven wrong. Facts rule. Anyways, the first video is really what I pictured. At 19 seconds, you can hear him say its not really made for this. The way they're behaving, they know its a joke to ride a spyder in the snow. And I don't see snow tires making a lot of difference. A little, maybe, but not enough to seriously put one in traffic. Aside from those 3 videos, I watched a few others. Didn't see one that instilled any confidence in the driver. The Elio video actually felt good. Seemed like there was control. So front wheel drive rules. Software differential? Should be a strong plus for the A Team! Just don't want that back end to kick out...
    Go To Post #1
(09-13-2017, 09:58 PM)AnimalCage Wrote: I rewatched the Spyder video, and have to disagree with you.  Coming out of the fence, any time trying to straight line it, there wasn't a moment when he had forward stability.  I didn't get the impression that he was gunning it.  The parking lot could have been very icy under the snow, could've had summer tire, but I don't think there was a sandcastle's chance he was getting anywhere near the street under any amount of throttle.

Slingshot, Spyder, Vanderhall all average mpg in the high 20's.  The only cars getting over 50 mpg are hybrids.  Few ICE-only cars make it into the 40's.  The only motorcycle I heard of getting 80 mpg was the Honda Rebel 250, at one quarter the weight and one less tire rolling resistance.  I still have doubts.

Don't forget about my Virago 250 @ 80+ mpg consistently. Actually the official rating on the Rebel is in the 60s.
And most Rebel owners report figures to support that. Of course there's always the 125lb. individual that hyper-miles.
I don't baby her majesty and I usually weigh in @ over 200lb.

.jpg   viragonp007.jpg (Size: 190.61 KB / Downloads: 50)
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
(09-13-2017, 09:58 PM)AnimalCage Wrote: Few ICE-only cars make it into the 40's.  The only motorcycle I heard of getting 80 mpg was the Honda Rebel 250, at one quarter the weight and one less tire rolling resistance.  I still have doubts.

Two anecdotal points:  

1. My 2015 Honda CTX700 regularly gets over 70 mpg, sometimes up to 75.  It sports half an engine from the Honda Fit.
2.  My old 1995 Geo Metro 1.3 4 cylinder 4 door used to regularly get over 45 mpg combined, which was astounding to me.  Makes me wonder what the 3 cylinder hatch used to get.
    Go To Post #1
PS... The brown and white vehicle in the background of the Yamaha Virago picture above was my '99 Metro 3-cylinder 5-speed hatch.

I got an average of 53 mpg when I babied it. Which wasn't very often. Too much fun with the stick.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
I'm just being impatient. Let Mark focus on getting production into the 1600's. I can sleep.

A friend of mine had the old honda crx (80's version). He got 50+ mpg. Very rare to see over 50. My 99 Saturn SL2 got 41. Awesome news on the CTX700. Guess I'll be doing more research.
    Go To Post #1
(09-14-2017, 12:29 AM)AnimalCage Wrote: I'm just being impatient.  Let Mark focus on getting production into the 1600's.  I can sleep.

A friend of mine had the old honda crx (80's version).  He got 50+ mpg.  Very rare to see over 50.  My 99 Saturn SL2 got 41.  Awesome news on the CTX700.  Guess I'll be doing more research.

Impatient?  How long have you been following Team Arcimoto?