The Glorious Northeast
    Go To Post #1
Western Mass is a beautiful place. No mile high mountains, but enough hills to keep life and travel interesting. I'm expecting a great 3-season vehicle. I don't expect the SRK to do well in snow and ice, but I will certainly give it a shot and hope for the best.
[+] 1 user Likes AnimalCage's post
    Go To Post #1
The A Team posted a video of the SRK driving snow packed neighborhood streets in a rare Eugene snowfall event stating, "As expected, the dual front wheel drive and low center of gravity provided for great traction".

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
I watched that one, also saw the Elio video of driving in snow, and the Solo as well. Lower speeds, no corners, no traffic. I need to see boundaries pushed. To know what it can do, and when to leave it at home.
    Go To Post #1
Me too, but the indication of "great traction" is a good starting point. I won't drive SRK on ice or snow packed streets. I'll be driving the SUV during the winter months and drive the FUV only on the nicest of days.

Go To Post #1
I expect that my Subaru Forester will do a bit better than the SRK on ice and snow, but not much. The SRK should be a lot better than the Prius. And there are days when the only sensible thing to do is to stay home.
    Go To Post #1
Spyder... Slingshot... Solo... single wheel/rear wheel drive. I expect they will all perform in snow as in the video. If you can find a better video, please post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXPtvdJzjI

The Elio with front wheel drive seems to do better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQRktJtrgHs

I expect the SRK to track at least as well as the Elio, but the back end being so light just makes me wonder if it can stay planted.

Another random thought: driving in snow is typically all four tires following well worn tracks. With a third center wheel, there is no established track. How does that play out? Thoughts to rock my brain to sleep.

Another not-so-random thought: does anyone know the tire size? I see four lugs, and heard they're regular car tires. Just wondering what snow tires would fit.
    Go To Post #1
The video of the Can-Am Spyder on the snow, he was having fun spinning it around. The video of the Elio, he was driving it on the street. Both are rear wheel drive. They are probably comparable in snow handling.

I live at 6570 ft. elevation, and I have to climb a 16% grade to get home. The road is snowy or icy about 5 months of the year (no motorcycling). I estimate about 30 days the Prius won't get up the hill without chains, about 5 days the Subaru won't get up the hill without chains, and about 3 days nothing will get up or down the hill, even with chains.

As best I can tell, scaling from photos, the SRK has 23" diameter tires. Snow tires are available for pretty much every size of car wheels. The software differential means it has steering authority even if the rear wheel has no traction at all. The fenders look a bit tight but it should be possible to use AutoSocks. With those, it should get up the hill about as well as the Subaru. You probably can't have as much fun doing donuts as with the Spyder. I would turn the handlebar hard over, and then lock all 3 wheels with the hydraulic brake. That should spin it around.
    Go To Post #1
I'm expecting a great three season vehicle in a temperate climate.

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
The Elio video said it was front wheel drive, so that's why I made that comparison. 23" tires? OK!! I'm with Rick, until I can personally prove otherwise, which I will make every effort to do so!!
    Go To Post #1
(09-13-2017, 06:18 PM)AnimalCage Wrote: The Elio video said it was front wheel drive, so that's why I made that comparison.  23" tires?  OK!!   I'm with Rick, until I can personally prove otherwise, which I will make every effort to do so!!
I'm sure Mark would be happy to answer an email on the tire size...
Or, we could just ask Kepesk to start carrying a tape measure around. Smile
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.