FUV State requirements
    Go To Post #1
(01-08-2019, 04:37 PM)jetpad Wrote: I think this is Maryland's current definition of an Autocycle (which wouldn't require a motorcycle endorsement).

Autocycle: a motor vehicle that has two front wheels and one rear wheel; has a steering wheel; has permanent seats on which the operator or a passenger is not required to sit astride; has foot pedals to control acceleration, braking, and, if applicable, a clutch; and is manufactured to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards applicable to motorcycles.

It looks like the Arcimoto fails that definition because of the handlebars and because it is missing a foot pedal for acceleration. Do you think sitting with your legs on each side of the battery box is "sitting astride" or not?
We really need a simple universal autocycle definition from Arcimoto’s legislative team that can be used to request autocycle definition amendment changes in all the states that currently require the FUV’s MC endorsement.

Go To Post #1
(01-08-2019, 05:04 PM)Rickb Wrote: We really need a simple universal autocycle definition from Arcimoto’s legislative team that can be used to request autocycle definition amendment changes in all the states that currently require the FUV’s MC endorsement.

Amen!
    Go To Post #1
I asked Arcimoto for a Arcimoto endorsed autocycle definition a couple years ago but I think they have been kind of busy. Smile I just resent them the idea. Maybe now it is time.
[+] 1 user Likes jetpad's post
    Go To Post #1
(01-08-2019, 07:39 PM)jetpad Wrote: I asked Arcimoto for a Arcimoto endorsed autocycle definition a couple years ago but I think they have been kind of busy. Smile I just resent them the idea. Maybe now it is time.
I was informed during my October factory visit that Arcimoto now has a team member focusing on legislative issues.  Apparently he was in attendance to speak in support of Michigan’s recent handlebar amendment.  A good sign of actual progress.

[+] 2 users Like Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
The more I think about the Colorado law, again I"m not a lawyer, it appears that the FUV fits the autocycle type to a tee:

Autocycle: "A three-wheeled motorcycle that does not use handlebars or any other device that is directly connected to a single front wheel to steer and in which the driver and each passenger ride in a fully or partly enclosed seating area that is equipped with safety belts for all occupants that constitute a safety belt system, as defined in section 42-4-237(1)(b). For purposes of this subsection (7.5), “partly enclosed seating area” means a seating area that is entirely or partly surrounded on the sides by the frame or body but is not fully enclosed."

"that does not use handlebars or any other device that is directly connected to a single front wheel to steer" exactly describes the FUV. Although the FUV does have handlebars they are not directly connected to a single from wheel. So perhaps a standard drivers license will work here as opposed to a trike endorsement. I don't know what, if any, efforts Arcimoto is pursuing in this state and perhaps we will have to wait until the first FUV is registered to know the answer. I will sure try to have my FUV classified as an 'autocycle' when it's my turn.
    Go To Post #1
The handlebar steering and single front wheel amendment will be required to cover the FUV MC exemption.

Go To Post #1
For Texas, it looks like the FUV will be a trike motorcycle. That's ok for me, I have a motorcycle license. 

An autocycle does not need a motorcycle endorsement, but it doesn't qualify since it does not have a steering wheel:

Excerpt from https://www.dps.texas.gov/msb/documents/...leFAQs.pdf
-------
"What is the definition of an autocycle? The definition of an autocycle is: "autocycle" means a motor vehicle, other than a tractor, that is:

(1) designed to have when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground;
(2) equipped with a steering wheel;
(3) equipped with seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride the seat; and
(4) manufactured and certified to comply with federal safety requirements for a motorcycle."
-------

I have heard that some states have an exemption for handlebars, but I was unable to find one for Texas. If anyone knows of this, please post.
    Go To Post #1
Hopefully Texas and other other States are open to a simple handlebar amendment similar to the one recently passed in Michigan.

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
I guess each state has a different definition. Does anyone know if there is a federal definition of 'autocycle' and if so what it says.
    Go To Post #1
Pretty sure there's not. And not all states have an tricycle definition either.