FUV State requirements
    Go To Post #1
There is no current NHTSA autocycle classification.  I think the autocycle subclass definition is best left to the individual States to avoid the potential Federal ‘over’ regulation of a new NHTSA vehicle classification.  It would be less restrictive to have a common sense universal autocycle definition adopted by the States.    

There was a proposed federal autocycle bill drafted by Elio Motors.  It was specific to everything Elio and not in the best interest of competing three wheeler manufacturers like Arcimoto or ElectraMecannica.  Thankfully, it didn’t move forward.  There was mention the former Elio Motors Government Affairs VP is contracting with Arcimoto to work with individual States to promote change, like the handlebar amendment that recently passed in Michigan.  Arcimoto had a rep there in support of that Bill.  I hope that Arcimoto rep is moving State by State for similar change as needed.

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
Very good news regarding State requirements and legislative changes as part of today’s update!

[Image: E95-BD29-B-23-EE-4-EE9-88-BA-74-BE3-FE7-D639.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
We started studying the manual for the State of Idaho’s Motorcycle Endorsement Testing requirements:
A written test followed by a riding skills test.

If Arcimoto doesn’t actively promote the ‘autocycle’ definition handle bar amendment, FUV Rentail Locations have little to no value in Idaho if renters are required an MC endorsement to rent or test drive the FUV.

I plan to contact my District 3 State Senator regarding interest in drafting the amendment, but only after I take delivery, so he can see it, touch it, and test drive it. Hopefully, my wife and I will have the only 2 FUV required MC endorsements out of 1000’s of future FUV owners throughout the State of Idaho.

Idaho’s definition is so simple.....3 wheels, steering wheel, and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride.............they may have to expand the autocycle definition: Three-wheeled motor vehicle that has a steering wheel or handlebars; seat belts and seating which does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride, and is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles. Perhaps full/partial enclosure/ROPS should be included?

Go To Post #1
ITs crazy each state is different, must be driving AM nuts trying to deal with it all. It will probably take the first FUV registered in each state to fully resolve things.

As for Colorado it seems clear that the FUV will be an autocycle based on the states definition which is as follows: "an autocycle is a three-wheeled motorcycle that does not use handlebars or any other device that is directly connected to a single front wheel to steer and in which the driver and each passenger ride in either a fully or a partly enclosed seating area that is equipped with a safety belt system;" The key here is 'not connected directly to a single front wheel.

The good news for folks here in Colorado is that a standard driver license is all that is required for an autocycle.
    Go To Post #1
.........a three wheeled motorcycle that does NOT USE HANDLEBARS...........doesn’t disqualify the FUV as an Autocycle?

Go To Post #1
No because 'handlebars or any other device' ; other device could be a steering wheel or stick, or anything. So handlbars are not an issue. The key is 'that is directly connected to a single front wheel to steer' the FUV does not have that. Once you add a second front wheel and linkage, gearbox, etc. then the FUV, in fact a Spider would meet this also but not other requirement which FUV does meet. The FUV meets all the autocycle requirements completely. Of course this is my interpretation, I guess the state could feel different and the first FUV in Colorado will find out.
[+] 1 user Likes ricschug's post
    Go To Post #1
Good luck with that. I’d call the DMV to clarify prior to registration and licensing. I don’t like surprises.

Go To Post #1
Florida would classify the Arcimoto as a trike. The state does not require a helmet. Currently the arcimoto staff are working with the legislature to change the definition of autocucle to include the phrase “or handlebars” in a bill that is being introduced to deal with autonomous vehicles. They asked florida reservation holders to write a letter of support to the state legislators, which I did. I believe the autocycle definition was passed a couple of years ago to accommodate the Spyder. The simple change in the current legislation to include handlebars would accommodate the Arcimoto.
[+] 1 user Likes rpodemski's post
    Go To Post #1
Similar legislation is needed in Idaho. I emailed my State Senators, Reps, and the Transportation Committee Chair, yesterday, in an effort to find one that may have interest to sponsor and draft a bill to amend the change to include “or handlebars”. Regardless, my wife and I will test for the required endorsement, but hopefully we will be the only 2 FUV owners in Idaho required to do so.

Go To Post #1
Tell me if I’m wrong but it seems that the fact the Arcimoto has a full seat and seatbelts with rollcage makes it much more of an auto than does the handlebars make it more a motorcycle. In other words it seems to be more auto than cycle.
[+] 2 users Like harriska2's post