FUV State requirements
    Go To Post #1
(04-08-2019, 09:12 PM)harriska2 Wrote: Tell me if I’m wrong but it seems that the fact the Arcimoto has a full seat and seatbelts with rollcage makes it much more of an auto than does the handlebars make it more a motorcycle. In other words it seems to be more auto than cycle.

YOU’RE WRONG! Smile   I’ve been having dialogue with Idaho’s Transportation Department.  Apparently the feeling by most State AAMVA members it’s more like a motorcycle because of the handlebar controls for braking and acceleration.  I was hoping that regulatory group would come up with a universal autocycle definition that could be used by all States. 

[Image: 8009-F403-44-AB-4-DAD-8950-665867-DC589-E.jpg]

Go To Post #1
Sure is a mess, I guess every state has its own unique rules for an autocycle. At least in Colorado it looks like the autocycle definition was written for the FUV. I can't wait to get mine and deal with the DOT Sad .
    Go To Post #1
(04-09-2019, 12:32 AM)The Rickb Wrote: YOU’RE WRONG! Smile   I’ve been having dialogue with Idaho’s Transportation Department.  Apparently the feeling by most State AAMVA members it’s more like a motorcycle because of the handlebar controls for braking and acceleration.  I was hoping that regulatory group would come up

with a universal autocycle definition that could be used by all States. 

[Image: 8009-F403-44-AB-4-DAD-8950-665867-DC589-E.jpg]
There is a real foot pedal break.
    Go To Post #1
Harriska2, I pointed the out the foot pedal hydrolic brake, but The American Association of Motor Vehicle Adminitrators focus is on their simple definition of Autocycle: A three wheeled motorcycle that has a steering wheel and a seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride it. That is the official definition that was used by the State of Idaho in 2016.

Frankly, far more important differences are safety features like partial, full, or ROPS enclosure and seat belts. How the damn thing steers is irrevalant since the autos steering wheel is evolving to yokes, joy stick, or autonomous steering/drive.

Oddly, the AAMVA’s Best Practices for Three Wheelers Manual has a photo of the Arcimoto SRK (Gen 7) on the front cover as an example of an autocycle.
Arcimoto’s legislative guy, Joel Sheltrown, needs to work with the AAMVA in developing a simple universal autocycle definition that could be used by all States to avoid the apparent confusion.

[Image: 699-F3-BB1-7-FA3-402-E-91-BA-6-B0-CACA67549.jpg]

Jacob, A couple changes I wanted to make in the above post, but my Edit Feature stopped working over the past couple weeks?????????

Go To Post #1
“Frankly, far more important differences are safety features like partial, full, or ROPS enclosure and seat belts. How the damn thing steers is irrevalant since the autos steering wheel is evolving to yokes, joy stick, or autonomous steering/drive.“

Yep, yep, and yep.

This is going to take some time to hash out. All I know is that I really think my neighbor’s son would be alive in an Arcimoto - his motorcycle slid across a steel grated bridge where he separated from the motorcycle and was run over. Tragic.

“Jacob, A couple changes I wanted to make in the above post, but my Edit Feature stopped working over the past couple weeks?????????”

I stopped quoting stuff as that really doesn’t work at all for me on an ipad.
    Go To Post #1
Don't worry, when the government gets fully engaged they will surely screw it up.
    Go To Post #1
My Idaho State Rep appears interested in sponsoring a bill to amend current Motorcycle laws to exempt the FUV from the MC endorsement and helmet requirement. I’m optimistic that it will happen in 2020. Certain politicians are there to help their general constituency that goes beyond the millionaires and billionaires lobbies.

Go To Post #1
I'm wondering how hard it would be to mount a circular pipe (perhaps a chromed footrest ring off a bar stool) to the handlebars. That's all it would take to demonstrate how silly it is to separate handlebars from steering wheels. Both pivot around a center. Both change the direction the vehicle travels when in motion and turned. I've also seen a car (4 wheels) with handlebar controls (made for a paraplegic friend with no control of his legs). His car is still licensed and taxed as an automobile. Seems as though by existing codes he should still be required to wear a helmet, eh?

4D
    Go To Post #1
This may be similar to your line of thinking:
[Image: 6-CE9-C303-FBB3-43-F3-A156-528-BE32775-DF.jpg]

However, it would be easier to draft a simple handlebar amendment or add enclosure language to exempt the Arcimoto. Smile

Go To Post #1
Oregon has the enclosure with harness exemption but I’m honestly worried we’ll get pulled over constantly because our DMV doesn’t know the change in law from 2 years ago and I suspect the police don’t either.