Orange Test Drive
    Go To Post #1
(04-19-2018, 10:43 PM)Kepesk Wrote: The batteries are air cooled, and they've said they have some sort of new technology to increase the effectiveness of that strategy, but they've been quiet on the details.

I do not believe we have been given any details about useable vs. total capacity.

Did they say what type of batteries they are-   brand type?

Motor - is it he new brand?
    Go To Post #1
(04-19-2018, 05:15 AM)Kepesk Wrote: I got to drive the orange FUV around today, and let me tell you, it was awesome!

After Eric let me take a peek at the factory, we took Orange for about a 20 minute spin around town, mostly side streets.  The handling was super slick and they managed to make this FUV even quieter than the Alphas were after they got upgrades.  It was impressive!  We started off driving past the old shop and then onto one of the city's main streets.  I got it up to about 35 in decently heavy traffic.  And wow, having to cross three lanes in that traffic in the company's shiny new Signature Series vehicle was a LITTLE terrifying, but I pulled it off.

We swing by my father-in-law's work because he wanted to see it, but he was busy and couldn't cone out.  Then we got back on the main road, and a traffic light changed unexpectedly causing me to break very quickly.  I managed to do it ALL with the regent break, which was awesome.  It still cannot hold you on a hill, but otherwise the regent break seems to be just as good as the hydraulic break now.

Then we went up the cross street nearest the AMP.  That street is a MESS; I don't think it has been maintained in decades.  Potholes the size of Delaware, several railroad crossings where the pavement is just crumbling between the tracks, the works.  The FUV is a small lightweight vehicle so you're going to feel it in that situation, but it was no worse than driving that road in my sedan, which is pretty impressive.

A few other things I noticed/found out:

1. The orange color was chosen intentionally to be flashy because this is one of their marketing vehicles and they want it to be noticed.  Mission accomplished!  The next marketing vehicle is a similarly bright blue (it's the one in the background of the news segment that was posted a couple weeks ago).
2. The heated seats work and kept my butt very warm.  The heated grips do not work, but ONLY because they haven't had a chance to install them since the FUV got back from New York a couple days ago.
3. The new seats (even newer than the ones on the black Alpha) look like they belong on a spaceship and they're super cozy.
4. Orange has the full 20KWh battery pack.  They still have some improvements to make before it's finalized but they're getting closer.
5. The fold-down seat and pull-out power cable will likely be options rather than standard (and Orange does not have either of those)
6. Orange does have power steering!  It's still a LITTLE stiff when it's stopped or when you're just starting off, but you don't have to wrestle the handlebars like the Alphas, and they're still working on fine tuning it to improve that situation further.
7. The regent break (like on the Alphas) does easily bring the vehicle to a full stop, but does not hold it there if you're on a hill.

Also, I got a little peek at yours, Rod.  It looks like it's coming along nicely (as I'm sure you're aware).  Big Grin

They're making these things better by the week.  I'm super duper excited to get mine!

[Image: P_20180418_082737_v_HDR_Auto.jpg][Image: P_20180418_090312_v_HDR_Auto.jpg][Image: P_20180418_090318_v_HDR_Auto_HP.jpg][Image: P_20180418_090330_v_HDR_Auto_HP.jpg][Image: P_20180418_090337_v_HDR_Auto_HP.jpg][Image: P_20180418_090644_v_HDR_Auto_HP.jpg][Image: P_20180418_090304_v_HDR_Auto_HP.jpg]

Thanks Kepesk for the report.  This makes it all seem a lot more real and that it will really happen now.  I am still hoping for a 4th quarter delivery, but I guess if I have to wait til the 1st quarter, it won't kill me.
    Go To Post #1
Pax, is yours the light blue one, by chance?

[Image: 31047756_10160394113255074_8927127621095..._EC759.jpg]
    Go To Post #1
I do not believe the motors and the battery are off-the-shelf.

The bright blue one us the second marketing vehicle. PAX, can I tell them which one is yours, or would you like to? Big Grin
    Go To Post #1
(04-20-2018, 06:03 AM)Kepesk Wrote: I do not believe the motors and the battery are off-the-shelf.

The bright blue one us the second marketing vehicle.  PAX, can I tell them which one is yours, or would you like to?  Big Grin

If you know which one go for it. I do know it is not painted yet - It will be red.
    Go To Post #1
It's the one right behind the orange one. Looking good!
    Go To Post #1
(04-21-2018, 03:47 AM)Kepesk Wrote: It's the bone right behind the orange one.  Looking good!

There is hope. Thanks.  Is that orange a second orange or is that the one you test drove.
    Go To Post #1
That's the one I drove. They still hadn't quite installed all the features so they probably put it back on the line to do that.
    Go To Post #1
So I took my father in law in for a test drive today. As soon as he and Eric drove off, it started pouring down rain. It was still raining when they returned 15 minutes later, but they were both almost completely dry. It was impressive!

Also, the wiper works really well.
[+] 3 users Like Kepesk's post
    Go To Post #1
(04-28-2018, 12:36 AM)Kepesk Wrote: So I took my father in law in for a test drive today.  As soon as he and Eric drove off, it started pouring down rain.  It was still raining when they returned 15 minutes later, but they were both almost completely dry.  It was impressive!

Also, the wiper works really well.

That's great to hear about not getting too wet driving in the rain.  I'll be driving my FUV around Newport Oregon and I expect I'll get "caught in the rain" more often than not.  Though unfortunately, usually when it rains here, it rains horizontally.

Cheers.