WooHoo! Arcimoto in KC this weekend!
    Go To Post #1
(10-07-2018, 06:50 PM)ricschug Wrote: Removable doors is important to me so soft doors look like the answer, this is fine with me. Perhaps the hard doors are a bit heavy to be removable.

Well, there's no reason that any manufacturer should *have* to choose just one implementation. Remember those convertibles (like the BMW z3) that had rag-tops AND an optional hard-top for the winter?

It really shouldn't be that difficult to have all of these options :

"cloth" sides for occasional light rain (default delivery - no hinges, ?roll up?) - useful for Florida 10-minute squalls.

"cloth" sides AND light ribbing (?plastic?) with hinges for light rain or just for winter (useful for CA winters Wink )

"light" (plastic/carbon fiber/whatever) doors and frames, with hinges

"solid" (alum?) doors and frames, with hinges

The last two might morph into one (a light-weight but very solid door) - but the first three could be removable by one person. Common hinges implementation (although maybe the first one w/ hinges would have plastic hinges).

For the past couple of years, I've been watching "3D printed" vehicles, like Local Motors. Unfortunately pretty much non-existent so far (in terms of being able to buy one), I've been waiting for some new startup company to start the trend and break the logjam (this is NOT the sort of thing the big 3 want to see happen). The idea is pretty simple - you have a base "skeleton" that is more traditional, and all of the exterior is easily printed (or manufactured) plastic. So you have a metal frame and wheel supports, and hinges, with traditional motor, transmission, windows to which you bolt/snap the plastic outside. The assembly can be done in local micro-factories - ship the stamped/forged pieces and the motor/transmission, and print (or produce locally) the outside using recycled plastic that doesn't rust. The Polish SAM sort of fits this model, and I was hoping that the FUV would as well. There's a new announced player in this world - Italian startup XEV, which supposedly has over 5000 pre-orders for their LSEV - a 45-mph electric city car.
    Go To Post #1
My interest in the hardshell was not only the ‘convertible’ function, but scores big on ‘personal’ appearance in terms of fit, finish, matched color, and style. One of the latest Arcimoto renders that will likely evolve to what will become the finalized styling.  I’m still hoping for convertible hard shell doors. I emailed for a  yes or no confirmation.

[Image: 3065_CB4_C_C83_B_45_B0_93_EE_946139_E781_E4.jpg]

Go To Post #1
I don't want to buy a car. I want to buy a motorcycle with car options. Whatever is removable, I'll look at.

And Rickb, I couldn't be happier for you. At last.
[+] 2 users Like AnimalCage's post
    Go To Post #1
getting ready to head to Boulder, its 38 and snowing. Guess I'm getting my wish of a test drive in inclement weather. I'll ask about the hard vs soft doors.
[+] 1 user Likes ricschug's post
    Go To Post #1
(10-08-2018, 02:48 PM)ricschug Wrote: getting ready to head to Boulder, its 38 and snowing. Guess I'm getting my wish of a test drive in inclement weather. I'll ask about the hard vs soft doors.

Back from Boulder but not much to report on. It was 38 and raining. The AM folks were great and I have Jonathans email to contact to get some questions answered from the factory. I did not get to test drive the FUV due to rain but did have a short ride in the passengers seat.  From the back seat I did not get wet and the wind was minimal. My driver and I were able to talk easily with hardly any external noise. Visibility from the  back seat is fine and from the front you can see everything in all directions including looking up. The wiper worked great. One thing for sure is that the FUV is glued to the road, kinda like a slot car. Sure would have liked to have driven it a bit.

Sounds like doors are Q2 or Q3 2019 but it was unclear if the hard shell doors would be removable or not. From what I was told the 'configurator' is very close to being released.
[+] 2 users Like ricschug's post