Ship & Store (Towing my FUV)
    Go To Post #1
As I recall, Arcimoto recommends flatbed trailering the FUV.  I think they said the reasoning was there would be to much wear on the single rear tire.  However, there is this photo:

[Image: 4-B8-D8480-B388-4-BC4-B239-C622-E9-E61-DAD.jpg]

Go To Post #1
https://www.facebook.com/Arcimoto/photos/rpp.254707685073/10160661610560074/?type=3&theater
[Image: 36394054-10160661610575074-3738868871977...7-E689.jpg]

This is a rental, but you can buy them id it is something you would need on a regular basis.
    Go To Post #1
I seem to recall they posted that putting it on the "front wheels only" trailer was an emergency thing only - something happened, and they really needed to move it from the side of the freeway fast, so they got the first trailer they could find.
    Go To Post #1
I don't understand their warning of excess wear. The rear wheel is not a drive wheel, (it's free spinning) so there is no wear & tear on the rest of the FUV during towing. The rear tire may get a few more miles wear & tear than the front tires when towed this way, but in normal driving the front tires are going to wear faster anyway.
[+] 2 users Like jimball's post
    Go To Post #1
(10-15-2018, 02:42 PM)jimball Wrote: I don't understand their warning of excess wear.  The rear wheel is not a drive wheel, (it's free spinning) so there is no wear & tear on the rest of the FUV during towing.  The rear tire may get a few more miles wear & tear than the front tires when towed this way, but in normal driving the front tires are going to wear faster anyway.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, or a physicist, but I think there may be additional forces placed on the rear wheel in such a configuration, perhaps yielding more load than the tire is designed for.
    Go To Post #1
(10-15-2018, 06:06 PM)Sniffy Wrote: I'm not a mechanical engineer, or a physicist, but I think there may be additional forces placed on the rear wheel in such a configuration, perhaps yielding more load than the tire is designed for.

I am a mechanical engineer and SAE member (car guy), but I have no detail knowledge of the vehicle's suspension or steering design. The following is pure guesswork. I suspect the problem may be with excess tire scrub in cornering. If the steering doesn't allow the rear wheel to follow into a corner, there may be large side forces on the tire and wheel and and large moments on the wheel bearings. Backing up would be far worse for these factors.

Just guessing.
Dan
    Go To Post #1
If the FUV was rigidly tied to the towing vehicle, there might be tire scrub. The trailer mounts to a standard ball hitch, so the FUV follows an arc as it turns, the same as if the FUV front wheels were providing the traction. I do not think there is any more scrubbing on the rear tire than normal. Also, there is little or no additional weight on the rear suspension in this configuration. The centerline of the front wheels is the fulcrum around which the FUV pivots whether on this type trailer or on the ground. The majority of weight on an FUV is nearly centered above the wheels (and probably slightly behind.) The battery weight is fairly evenly balanced, neither forward nor rear-biased. I think their recommendation is a CTA situation. Tens of thousands of cars have been towed with these trailers without harm. One wheel on an 1100 lb. vehicle versus two wheels on a 3000-4000 lb. vehicle?
[+] 1 user Likes jimball's post
    Go To Post #1
The trailer where the front wheels sits pivots so it is real similar to the front wheels turning on the fUV.   I can see a whole lot of excessive lateral force created.  Backing up this set up is a real pain- been there and tried it although with a car on the dolly. 

One thing - towing the FUV with front wheels rolling can put the motors into generation mode which if control electronics are not on  could cause damage to the electronics. Supposedly having the 12V system on will protect the electronics.
    Go To Post #1
Hey guy I am looking at a trike trailer for my FUV if you please give me a measurement from the outside of tire to outside of the tire. The ramp width is only 59 1/2" even though the deck width is 63" so I am not sure if I can make it work. I have my own GMC 5500 truck which we are using for 24/7 towing companies near me. Thanks in advance.
    Go To Post #1
(07-17-2019, 11:52 AM)martinbrown9843 Wrote: Hey guy I am looking at a trike trailer for my FUV if you please give me a measurement from the outside of tire to outside of the tire. The ramp width is only 59 1/2" even though the deck width is 63" so I am not sure if I can make it work. I have my own GMC 5500 truck which we are using for 24/7 towing companies near me. Thanks in advance.
There are recent changes to the structure but I think it was length, not width. You’d have to call or email Arcimoto themselves for the final numbers.
[+] 1 user Likes harriska2's post