FUV Rider Training
    Go To Post #1
I had the great pleasure of finishing the S/TEP training program this weekend.  In Washington state, we require a special endorsement to ride a three-wheeler.  So I took this course in anticipation for next year.  At the end of the course, if you pass, they give you a certificate that you take to the DMV to have your driver's license endorsed.

I did not try the side car rig, since it looked a little too challenging for someone under the weather, as I was.  I did try the trike, and it was fun, but it was somewhat like riding a garden tractor at speed.  It was enough to know that a trike will likely not be in my future.

The Can-Ams were a revelation.  I did not have any expectations about riding these, but the fun factor was through the roof.  Since the form factor is very similar to the Arcimoto, my anticipation has doubled.

Evergreen supplies the vehicles, and this photo shows the fleet they keep at the South Seattle Community College range.  Thanks to my classmate, Robert for allowing me to take his photo.

There are many idiosyncrasies with a reverse trike, and this course gives familiarity to them.  I was able to lift a front wheel in a turn, despite the Can-Am's leveling technology.  I assume it will be the same with the Arcimoto.

I highly recommend this course to anyone considering the Arcimoto.  The skill set that they teach is directly transferrable.
[Image: IMG_20181007_151041.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Sniffy's post
    Go To Post #1
You are going to like the performance and sportscar like handling of the Arcimoto.  Based on the FUV’s pavement hugging weight distribution, I hope you don’t experience that front wheel lifting off the ground.  ?

My wife and I will be taking Idaho’s MC required written/driving skills endorsement testing soon, but will scedule the driving portion after taking delivery of our Arcimoto.

Go To Post #1
(10-09-2018, 08:52 PM)Rickb Wrote: Based on the FUV’s pavement hugging weight distribution, I hope you don’t experience that front wheel lifting off the ground.

Actually, Rick, one of the first things I do will be to try to lift a wheel (in an empty parking lot, of course).  These Arcimotos will be very unlike anything we've driven before.  I will want to understand its limitations before taking it on the open road.

Whoa, I just got a shiver of excitement just thinking about that.   Big Grin   2019Q2 can't come soon enough!
    Go To Post #1
Our test drive proved the FUV to be the most fun we’ve had driving any vehicle.

Go To Post #1
I went through my three wheel M/C endorsement (In WA) with just a bit of studying and practice driving.  Pretty easy. The course that I researched was a $325   15hours over two days.  i had and still have no desire to drive a gas three wheeler whether or not it handles some what like an arcimoto.  It would mean taking the Arcimoto 70 miles and staying over night. A waste of time and money. particularly as there is a testing area in Olympia ( does not give the course just the two test)

Reqarding lifting a front wheel.  i have a three wheel recumbent trike that I have both played with lifting one of the front wheels on purpose and accidentally. With the accidental lifts one of two things happens- I recover and get wheel down or I am on my side- happens fast.   My experience in our FUV is that it would be really hard to do and unless you really know what you are doing I would not push it to that point. A miss judgement would create some damage.  But - hey if you want to try let us know how it goes.   You might want to practice with an old beater car- lifting two wheels.

Rick - check the state rules where you .  In WA there are time limits on the testing.
[+] 1 user Likes PAX's post
    Go To Post #1
My wife was pretty disappointed in the test drive event in Boulder. She drove 4 1/2 hours each way for it (but visited a friend). It rained. There were no test drives. There was apparently no advance publicity. Only 8 people showed up. The Arcimoto rep didn't take time to answer many questions and left early. Heads up, marketing. You can do better.
    Go To Post #1
I would have been disappointed too!.  What I learn from the experience in your post is that one needs to look at the long range weather forecast when planning a long drive to an Arcimoto Test Drive Event.  Make a mental note that the test drive will be cancelled due to weather.  The marketing & tour team has no control over ever changing weather conditions and appear concerned about safe driving conditions during the test drives.  Also, they can’t hang around in hopes for a dry weather day since they have to stay on their road trip schedule.

Go To Post #1
(10-10-2018, 01:18 AM)PAX Wrote: I went through my three wheel M/C endorsement (In WA) with just a bit of studying and practice driving.  Pretty easy. The course that I researched was a $325 

I suspect it was the same course.  I signed up through the Can-Am website though, and it was discounted to $75, which I would guess is close to the price for just taking the test.

I agree that the test was easy.  One would not need to take the course to pass it.  However, I still stand by my recommendation, though perhaps not as heartily at $325.   Smile

(10-10-2018, 01:18 AM)PAX Wrote: Reqarding lifting a front wheel.  i have a three wheel recumbent trike that I have both played with lifting one of the front wheels on purpose and accidentally. With the accidental lifts one of two things happens- I recover and get wheel down or I am on my side- happens fast.   My experience in our FUV is that it would be really hard to do and unless you really know what you are doing I would not push it to that point. A miss judgement would create some damage.  But - hey if you want to try let us know how it goes.   You might want to practice with an old beater car- lifting two wheels.
One amusing thing they taught the side-car folks in the course was to "fly the car".  It's an exercise where you lift the car off the ground with a tight right-hander, and then ride around the lot using just two wheels.  At that point, switching to counter-steering is necessary.  It's not that hard to do, but doing it makes one feel like a stunt rider.
I've flown wheels in a car before, both two and four.  I used to thrash my old Geo Metro like it was a rally car.  Unfortunately, that car, as much fun as it was to drive, was just not built for that kind of regular punishment.  I replaced the suspension in it twice before selling it, about three times the worth of the car.  Not my smartest decision ever, but I still remember it fondly.
    Go To Post #1
"One amusing thing they taught the side-car folks in the course was to "fly the car".  It's an exercise where you lift the car off the ground with a tight right-hander, and then ride around the lot using just two wheels.  At that point, switching to counter-steering is necessary.  It's not that hard to do, but doing it makes one feel like a stunt rider.
I've flown wheels in a car before, both two and four.  I used to thrash my old Geo Metro like it was a rally car.  Unfortunately, that car, as much fun as it was to drive, was just not built for that kind of regular punishment.  I replaced the suspension in it twice before selling it, about three times the worth of the car.  Not my smartest decision ever, but I still remember it fondly."

I think Flying the side-car is pretty easy- The month Before I took the test I watched the testing of the three wheelers  and one was a side car- He flew the car on the cone part of the test - of course on a right hand turn. He brought it down okay but had to turn hard at slow speed to make the next cone. I didn't find out how much it cost him on points- my guess is that he passed the test.

Flying a wheel on the Arcimoto is much harder-   I would guess around 30 MPH and cranking it over hard. Over steer and you are over. You may have the skill and ability to do it. I would love to watch you try it - but not with my FUV.  
    Go To Post #1
I can understand about no test drives in bad weather, but they could have stayed around until the end of the scheduled time and taken time to answer questions. And they could have done some advance publicity, maybe just notice in the local paper.