Test Ride Tour Curiosity
    Go To Post #1
I got my Washington State three-wheel endorsement a couple of weeks ago, and I was thinking about it today.  I thought that although I'm pretty eager to get into an FUV, that's a pretty substantial hoop to jump through first.  This may be a big stumbling block to the FUV's success in Washington.

That got me thinking that the three-wheel endorsement is likely necessary even for a test ride in this state.  Which led me to my eureka moment, "Oh, so that's why they don't do test rides here!"   (Actually, I don't know if that's true, just my conjecture.)

So here's my question:  If you've done a test ride outside of Oregon, what kind of license was required in your state?
License Requirement for FUV Test Ride
(4 votes total)
No Drivers License Required
0 (0%)
Driver's License
1 (25.0%)
Motorcycle Endorsement
2 (50.0%)
Three Wheel Endorsement
1 (25.0%)

Go To Post #1
(11-28-2018, 01:06 AM)Sniffy Wrote: I got my Washington State three-wheel endorsement a couple of weeks ago, and I was thinking about it today.  I thought that although I'm pretty eager to get into an FUV, that's a pretty substantial hoop to jump through first.  This may be a big stumbling block to the FUV's success in Washington.

That got me thinking that the three-wheel endorsement is likely necessary even for a test ride in this state.  Which led me to my eureka moment, "Oh, so that's why they don't do test rides here!"   (Actually, I don't know if that's true, just my conjecture.)

So here's my question:  If you've done a test ride outside of Oregon, what kind of license was required in your state?

The Polaris Slingshot is another 3-wheel tadpole design currently for sale. Here's their US map showing which states require what kind of license. Of course, that's no guarantee that Arcimoto will be similar. Notice that, to them, no state requires a 3-wheel endorsement. Curious.
https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/lice...uirements/

And here's a presentation, mostly state agencies, that shows that they're more confused than we motorheads are:
https://www.aamva.org/uploadedFiles/Main..._Final.pdf
    Go To Post #1
3 years ago, I contacted my State Senator regarding interest in drafting ‘autocycle’ legislation in preparation for the wave of Elio’s and SRK’s about to hit the market.  He was, he drafted legislation, and the House Bill passed in 2016.  Both the Elio and SRK had steering wheels at the time and unfortunately ‘steering wheel’ was unnecessarily included in the autocycle definition.  AUTOS MAY NOT HAVE STEERING WHEELS IN THE NEAR FUTURE! The wave of enclosed three wheelers I promised never happened and that was embarrassing!   Unfortunately with the FUV’s switch to handlebar steering, I’m again forced to comply with Idaho’s motorcycle endorsement requirement. I’m hoping Arcimoto’s legislative team member is working hard to draft a universal autocycle definition that States can use to amend their current definitions that will exempt the FUV from motorcycle endorsement and helmet requirements in all 50 States. If not, I will ride my FUV to my State Reps Office, offer him a test ride, and ask him again to amend the autocycle definition amendment to exempt future Idaho FUV owners.

Go To Post #1
(11-28-2018, 03:47 AM)Dan21 Wrote: The Polaris Slingshot is another 3-wheel tadpole design currently for sale. Here's their US map showing which states require what kind of license. Of course, that's no guarantee that Arcimoto will be similar. Notice that, to them, no state requires a 3-wheel endorsement. Curious.
https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/lice...uirements/

And here's a presentation, mostly state agencies, that shows that they're more confused than we motorheads are:
https://www.aamva.org/uploadedFiles/Main..._Final.pdf

Different for Arcimoto 
Wa state law regarding endorsement:
You don't need a sidecar/trike endorsement on your driver license to operate a 3-wheel vehicle if it meets all of the following requirements:
  • The seat is in a partially or completely enclosed seating area.

• The vehicle is equipped with safety belts.

• The vehicle is steered with a steering wheel.
Arcimoto has handle bar steering.
Helmet law:
© For any person to operate or ride upon a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped on a state highway, county road, or city street unless wearing upon his or her head a motorcycle helmet except when the vehicle is an antique motor-driven cycle or when the vehicle is equipped with all of the following:
(i) Steering wheel;
(ii) Seat belts that conform to standards prescribed under 49 C.F.R. Part 571; and
(iii) Partially or completely enclosed seating area for the driver and passenger that is certified by the manufacturer as meeting the standards prescribed   under 49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.216. (which has to do with crushing test

So in WA, at this time both an endorsement and helmet are required.
The arcimoto is not really either a  motorcycle or an auto car.
    Go To Post #1
There is still questions about Oregon needing a motorcycle endorsement and helmet. DMV said it is up to police as “enclosed” wasn’t defined in the law that passed in 2017.