One Pedal Drive
    Go To Post #1
Greetings! I'm a new member and I have reservation #744, living in Texas.

How does the accelerator work when decelerating? Does it have an "engine brake" feel or does it brake pretty hard when you let all the way off of it?

I'm not a fan of the "one pedal drive" concept. It's not the dynamic I'm used to with traditional cars or motorcycles. As a veteran motorcycle rider, I want my accelerator to accelerate and give me an engine brake feel when rolling off the accelerator, and I want to use brakes for any further deceleration. I'm guessing that regenerative braking can be used for that engine brake feel - up to a point - before the brake takes the regenerative braking further and adds mechanical brakes when needed.

All you FUV test riders, please tell me how the deceleration/braking works in reality.

Dave
    Go To Post #1
It is twist-throttle, with near-zero "engine brake" feel letting off. You have to press the brake pedal for regenerative braking to kick in. Yes, it would be nice if they had "one pedal" aka "twist throttle only" control, but then you'd have to be applying constant throttle pressure just to coast, which would get old fast.

The hand brake is solely the friction brakes. Ironically, sometimes the regenerative brakes won't have enough power to hold you stopped (on a hill, for example,) so there are times you'll have to let off the throttle, press the brake pedal, then hold the hand brake. Pretty much the opposite of "one pedal"...

It would be nice to be configurable to have "let off the throttle" do regenerative braking to have one-twist control, though.
[+] 1 user Likes CharonPDX's post
    Go To Post #1
Dave, You are going to be pleasantly surprised by the Arcimoto’s performance and handling characteristics to include it’s quick acceleration, smooth hand brake (regen), sports car like suspension, quiet ride, and ergo seating comfort.  I used the foot brake (mechanical) twice to hold the FUV in a full stop position on an incline. There is a short learning curve required to be in full control of the FUV.   Difficult to explain, you have to experience it to believe it. It exceeded my expectations and I guarantee it will put a smile on your face too!

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
(01-14-2019, 06:35 AM)CharonPDX Wrote: It is twist-throttle, with near-zero "engine brake" feel letting off. You have to press the brake pedal for regenerative braking to kick in. Yes, it would be nice if they had "one pedal" aka "twist throttle only" control, but then you'd have to be applying constant throttle pressure just to coast, which would get old fast.

The hand brake is solely the friction brakes.  Ironically, sometimes the regenerative brakes won't have enough power to hold you stopped (on a hill, for example,) so there are times you'll have to let off the throttle, press the brake pedal, then hold the hand brake. Pretty much the opposite of "one pedal"...

It would be nice to be configurable to have "let off the throttle" do regenerative braking to have one-twist control, though.

I think you have that backwards.  The hand brake is regenerative and the foot brake is hydraulic.  That's the way it was on the one I test-drove.

I wish they would decide to add a left hand hydraulic brake lever to go along with the foot brake.
    Go To Post #1
(01-14-2019, 09:03 AM)jimball Wrote: I think you have that backwards.  The hand brake is regenerative and the foot brake is hydraulic.  That's the way it was on the one I test-drove.

I wish they would decide to add a left hand hydraulic brake lever to go along with the foot brake.

That's the way I imagine would be best, hand brake for regen, and foot for mechanical brake. (I'm assuming the foot brake does brake all three wheels.) 

Thanks for the clarification.

As a bike rider, I am very used to using the front brake since that's where the majority of the braking comes from. This depends on conditions, of course. I use the rear foot brake for low speed braking or holding in place. 

Just to be clear, I am against the one pedal concept. I like separation of acceleration and braking. I was expecting some regen when coming off the throttle, but none is still ok with me. Maybe this can be a programming option in the future.

No comment on the left hand brake lever except that I ride both bicycles and motorcycles, which are in conflict on that point.
    Go To Post #1
(01-14-2019, 02:56 PM)davstewa Wrote:  I was expecting some regen when coming off the throttle, but none is still ok with me. Maybe this can be a programming option in the future.

The problem there is just how much regen braking to apply.  I like it to be on a standard brake lever.  It's what most of us motorcyclists are used to, and provides us with the option and control of how fast we slow down or whether we just coast.
[+] 1 user Likes jimball's post
    Go To Post #1
(01-14-2019, 04:07 PM)jimball Wrote: The problem there is just how much regen braking to apply.  I like it to be on a standard brake lever.  It's what most of us motorcyclists are used to, and provides us with the option and control of how fast we slow down or whether we just coast.
Except for the instant torque acceleration and smooth regen hand braking, it felt like I was coasting during the entire ride!  Big Grin

Go To Post #1
(01-14-2019, 09:03 AM)jimball Wrote: I think you have that backwards.  The hand brake is regenerative and the foot brake is hydraulic.  That's the way it was on the one I test-drove.

That's the way I imagine would be best, hand brake for regen, and foot for mechanical brake. (I'm assuming the foot brake does brake all three wheels.) 

Thanks for the clarification.

As a bike rider, I am very used to using the front brake since that's where the majority of the braking comes from. This depends on conditions, of course. I use the rear foot brake for low speed braking or holding in place. 

Just to be clear, I am against the one pedal concept. I like separation of acceleration and braking. I was expecting some regen when coming off the throttle, but none is still ok with me. Maybe this can be a programming option in the future.

No comment on the left hand brake lever except that I ride both bicycles and motorcycles, which are in conflict on that point.

(01-14-2019, 04:07 PM)jimball Wrote: The problem there is just how much regen braking to apply.  I like it to be on a standard brake lever.  It's what most of us motorcyclists are used to, and provides us with the option and control of how fast we slow down or whether we just coast.

It depends on how you use the clutch when you roll off the throttle. With a motorcycle it's very easy to engine brake a little or a lot or pull the clutch lever in to coast. Lots of options on a traditional motorcycle to do whatever you want to drive however you want. It's different with an EV with no clutch, so that is why I was bringing the topic up. It's basically up to the manufacturer.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll be happy after reading some of the feedback.
    Go To Post #1
The top 15 things you’ll never have to do again should make you an even happier biker!  Smile

[Image: AB2-EC067-FA69-4-E31-815-A-4-A8-BAFEA7-FCE.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
I imagine it will take several hours to train my son to use both brakes in various situations like slowing in high speed curves, stopping and slowing down uphill, stopping and slowing down downhill, emergency braking, and city stop and go traffic.