Just a reminder....
    Go To Post #1
(01-01-2017, 06:41 PM)Kepesk Wrote: Yeah, can't help to be just a little disappointed myself.  The car I'm using temporarily till the SRK comes is really hanging on by a thread.  It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to go used car shopping, which I ;rdespise.  It takes super long, dealing with the salespeople is like pulling teeth, and I always end up getting ripped off somehow.  I'd rather change a thousand diapers.
That being said, I am looking forward to the product video coming out this week.

Kepesk,
Start looking on CL now. I haven't gone to a car dealer in 30 years.
Sometimes you have to check daily for months, but when you find that diamond in the rough...
It's worth the time spent. I'm still ecstatic about my $1700 Caravan.
When exactly the right vehicle gets listed at exactly the right price you'll know.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
Ugh. I tried Craigslist last time I had to go through this. Spent a week and a half calling to take a look at cars and it all fell through every single time. Didn't even get to look at a single one. Got so fed up that I went to a shifty dealer and got my current pile of junk.

Craigslist is not a likely route for me, not only because spending months trying to find the right deal sounds like the sixth or seventh circle of hell to me, but because I'll in no way knowledgeable enough to know a good deal when I see one.
    Go To Post #1
(01-01-2017, 10:15 PM)Kepesk Wrote: Ugh.  I tried Craigslist last time I had to go through this.
Yeah, I feel your pain.
However, there's an easy and right way to do it.
I never even call about a vehicle until I see THE DEAL posted. Ever.
You have to be the first to call, have the money in hand, and be ready to leave immediately.

No settling for less than THE DEAL. And you know them when you see them.
And yep, that takes only a couple of clicks on a saved search criteria per day and patience.

Honestly, there are still people out there who will put more than into a vehicle than they're asking for it...
Just to make sure it will be as close to perfect for the buyer as possible...

And there are those (sometimes the same people) rare indivduals who don't have a clue...
(or don't care) that they're asking less than half of the current fair market value for their gem.

Those are the used cars I buy.
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
(01-01-2017, 10:15 PM)Kepesk Wrote: Ugh.  I tried Craigslist last time I had to go through this.  Spent a week and a half calling to take a look at cars and it all fell through every single time.  Didn't even get to look at a single one.  Got so fed up that I went to a shifty dealer and got my current pile of junk.

Craigslist is not a likely route for me, not only because spending months trying to find the right deal sounds like the sixth or seventh circle of hell to me, but because I'll in no way knowledgeable enough to know a good deal when I see one.
If your not mechanically savvy it may be better to buy used at the local dealership having the advantage of a possible warranty should issues arise in the first 30 days of ownership.

Check out tips on buying a used car from a dealership or private party and do your homework to avoid being screwed.  If you feel your being screwed.......you are.  Good luck out there.  I like dealing with new or used car sales mentalities.   

ElioOwners hate Jalopnik, but here is one of many links available to self educate:

http://jalopnik.com/ten-steps-for-buying...-786640612

Go To Post #1
Yep, That's why everyone calls them the "Stealerships".

In my mind the alternatives are either a 90-day warranty covering 100% of the vehicle...
(Almost impossible to get on a reasonably priced used vehicle) or do what I did with the Caravan.

Even though I already KNEW that it was the deal of the year, I still took a certified mechanic with me. [Image: becky.gif]
    Go To Post #1
I've always had positive experiences buying primarily new vehicles at dealerships. No dealer financing, Cash only, no trade in, and always at the end of the sales year. Easy for me to walk away if I feel the price isn't right. My Son buys used low mileage lease vehicles. Pays half the window sticker price or less and includes a new car full factory warranty.

Dale, You did get a great deal on the Caravan. It looked showroom in the photo! You obviously know how to shop around.

A good example of a thread derailed and no power hungry mods bitchin about it. Smile

Go To Post #1
(01-02-2017, 07:39 AM)Rickb Wrote: I've always had positive experiences buying primarily new vehicles at dealerships.  No dealer financing, Cash only, no trade in, and always at the end of the sales year.  Easy for me to walk away if I feel the price isn't right.  My Son buys used low mileage lease vehicles.  Pays half the window sticker price or less and includes a new car full factory warranty.  

Dale, You did get a great deal on the Caravan.  It looked showroom in the photo!  You obviously know how to shop around.  

A good example of a thread derailed and no power hungry mods bitchin about it.  Smile

Just to get back on track with this thread ....

`Tis the end of the road again for me. i got my pre-payment back from Kroll. My dislike of so many aspects of the Electrameccanica Solo made it practically impossible to regard it as the best possible alternative to what I´m really looking for (but can´t get).

And now it´s become pretty clear that the Arcimoto is little more than a glorified golf cart in the process of being re-engineered as a roadworthy three-wheeler. And it is still far from completion: front wishbone and rear single suspension, gearbox, doors and windows, and even the windscreen and windscreen wipers are still in the development stage and the team is looking for funding to start further testing and production.

Think I´ll wait for one of the major car or motorbike manufacturers to one day come up with a new, small vehicle (or get myself an electric Smart).

Save
    Go To Post #1
Yep, my tiny bubble of optimism has a slow leak in it.  

Sounds like the Solo refund process was easy.  Having experience with a SRK refund 5 years ago......that is easy too.  The Smart EV is likely the Smart choice for your driving environment.  My neighbor owns a Smart and loves it.

Derwin, at the Fly the Road Club, posted in the Helix Forum that there was a non-hydraulic tilting patent recently approved and apparently tested by Bosch Engineering.  The developer is determined to get it to market, rumor is that BMW has interest, but is likely BS until validated.  

http://flytheroadclub.com/forums/showthr...#post30025

Paravil, Good luck out there and stay in touch.

Go To Post #1
Rick, in all my years of waiting and watching the ever changing small EV scene, I´ve never come across a more blatant BS than the Carver, Persu, Helix venture!

At present, Carver still maintains that it owns patents for the original and for an improved version. Australian Phil has registered patents for his tilting mechanism, and these would seem to be all inclusive.

I would be greatly surprised if either Bosch or BMW confirm their connection with any of this.

So many vultures are circling over the remnants of what was once the Carver. All that has come out of this is that everyone who is involved now realises that the Carver tilting mechanismn is `deeply flawed´. Apart from that, it is evident that a front tilting vehicle with two stable wheels at ther back is far from being an optimal solution. Nissan and Phil both advocate narrow, tilting four wheelers.

Now that I´ve got my Solo pre-payment back, good manners dictate that I´ll refrain from posting my increasingly long list of caveats of this design.

So, Rick, please keep me informed of any new projects on the horizon.
    Go To Post #1
I will keep you posted of new finds if you keep me posted of new finds.

According to Derwin at FTRC, the Bosch and BMW connection is not with Helix Motors, but rather with the individual holding the patent that has distanced himself from Helix.  Watch for updates on FTRC or I will let you know only if I see validation that BMW begins developing a prototype. It's the only way it would ever get to market.

I also intend to provide you with my Solo test drive review, whether you want it or not.