things I want!
    Go To Post #1
aside from world peace, a cure for cancer and the winning power-ball numbers BEFORE a "YUGE" jackpot drawing!

things I want (for the SRK) is an ability to have a removable rear seat so I can install a proper dog kennel enclosure (because I don't think it would be safe to strap in a dog in the passenger seat or randomly position a dog to sit)

[Image: dog_in_a_trike_of_sorts.jpg]

[Image: motorcycle_dog.jpg]

[Image: Handoko_Njotokusuma_has_trained_his_pet_...cooter.jpg]

also I want some kind secure/built-in document carrier for the vehicle registration and proof of insurance (perhaps built in the "cargo box" and/or could this feature be built into the app???) and a weather proof cover (figure even though I live in SoCal where it does not rain that much, it would be nice to have a weather proof cover to protect the vehicle from dust and UV)

well that its for now, aside from I wish mark, et al. would hurry up with testing and get started w/ actual mass production so I can take physical delivery of the vehicle...
    Go To Post #1
I`ve been lurking behind the skirting boards, waiting for new developments (but not finding much more than the new windscrean wipers on the SRK): no realised details of the SRK enclosure options and a pretty desolate forum. The reason for coming out into the open is that I´ve just returned from picking up my granddaughter´s new Smart. And the realisation that the electric version (coming out later this year) may well be my choice of future urban vehicle. As a biker of long standing, I´m certainly not looking forward to driving a Smart. I´d definitely prefer a narrow, single seater with leaning technology (if any of the multitude of large manufacturers´ concept cars were ever to be produced). But neither the SRK nor the Solo could ever be an alternative.

The traditional Smart is approximately the same price over here as the Solo, is only mariginally wider, has airbags, ABS, four wheels and Mecedes luxury and quality. Three wheels (especially with the single powered wheel at the back) is not only a death trap (I´ve owned two three wheelers in the past) but difficult to drive in deeper snow, mud or sand, as four wheeled vehicles churn up two wheel tracks, so that the third wheel on the trike tends to fall into one or the other rut.

The Solo is a single seater, but with almost the same width as the Smart. Where´s the advantage?
    Go To Post #1
Rick, I agree that `style´ (looks) is important, is very personal and is therefore not open for discussion. `Performance and handling´ on the other hand, can be measured and compared. And it is inconceivable that a three wheeled vehicle can be expected to handle or perform as well a vehicle with all four wheels. Just as it is inconceivable that a vehicle designed in the `quad´ category is likely to have the same safety characteristics as as a similar vehicle that is tested and registered within the internationally accepted `car´ category. The only remaining advantage for the three-wheeler could be the lower price.
    Go To Post #1
Two factors are paramount for me: energy efficiency and fun. The energy cost of a Smart would not be difficult for me, but it offends my engineering sensibilities to use more energy than necessary. The Smart would use about twice the energy as the SRK. Tilting is not a significant factor for me in the fun of a motorcycle. A couple of years ago I turned too sharply and wiped out. It only hurt my pride, and I have been more cautious since. As long as the SRK would slide rather than roll, I would feel more free to mess around with it than with a motorcycle. Also, I always wear a helmet for safety, but I would prefer not to and the SRK eliminates that requirement. I feel caged and isolated from the outdoors when I am in a car. My SRK will have the sides off except in the worst weather.
[+] 1 user Likes DanCooper's post
    Go To Post #1
as to the question...

"if it's you and your dog, you might consider the SRK Deliverator.......a single seat and plenty of cargo space To strap your dog in safely."

the way I look at thing is if the SRK is marketed as the worlds first "fun utility vehicle" I'd want the ability to remove the rear seat pan to be able to carry various cargo (such as a dog kennel)
[Image: FUV.jpg]
the "deliverator" looks to be a specific purpose built configuration w/ only one seat

so what happens if I want to take a human friend to lunch at a cafe that is a mile and half away? stick a person in the cargo compartment for the drive over?? Just saying an easy to remove rear seat pan makes the SRK a real world "fun utility vehicle!"

figure the same attach point that hold down the rear seat pan could also be used to secure a dog kennel (or some other bulky item) that would fit better if the rear seat pan were easily removable
    Go To Post #1
Rick, I remember that you recently stated that the front of the Solo reminded you of a car. And the Solo is, of course, to all intents a car. With all the disadvatages of the width of a car, but only providing a single seat, no airbags, no ABS or any of a modern car´s safety features. With doors that still seem to create problems and, above all, it´s still largely untested by any of the future owners. This looks to me as being a very dodgy proposition.

The SRK, while obviously quite a bit safer, still hasn´t provided a final design model. The clear plexi roof is going to be a heat trap. The enclosure options should have been presented to future customers a long time ago (and I doubt whether they are even now being taken seriously by trhe production team).

Neither the Solo nor the SRK can stand any comparison with the new Smart. And all three are living proof that the whole industry has not woken up to the fact that present day solutions come nowhere near solving the problems of urban congestion.

Even if you just want a fun vehicle, better options should not be difficult to find.
    Go To Post #1
paravil, agree "The clear plexi roof is going to be a heat trap."

I'm fortunate to have the a few vehicles in my stable, and like tools for specific job each vehicle like the SRK will be used for a particular mission

for example I have a landcruiser for overland trips and hauling duty around town, but think it would be wasteful to use it for short in town errands

likewise I have an old manual transmission mercedes roadster which I use when I have look presentable for a business meeting

in both these vehicles the interior is leather

and FWIW the reason I want to buy the SRK ASAP is because it would be perfect for short in town errands (when I don't have the time to walk)

in the promotional photos of the SRK, looks like the seats are made out of some kind of vinyl material (which in many ways acts like leather), and one issue I have w/ leather is, when the vehicle sits in the sun and hits the leather, the surface gets pretty warm

since I wear shorts pretty often, I know to be careful when sitting down and avoid skin contact (and its one other concern I envision with the SRK)

in my land crusier, long ago I picked up nylon seat covers BUT have discovered when I'm using hiking shorts made out of a synthetic material one thing I have to watch out for is static build up (i.e. want to avoid a shocking experience)

long story short the SRK I want will have old fashion cotton duck cloth covers on the seats and the roof to keep things comfortable

actually to keep things tasteful I want my SRK to be in yellow w/ tan duck cloth, just like old military aircraft trainers (and some classic cars)
[Image: my_SRK_color_scheme.jpg]

[Image: 1929_ford_42906.jpg]

also like "yellow" because its the most visible color to the eye (so when I'm driving around people in big old SUVs will more likely notice the much smaller SRK) 

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/attention...74162.html

as for other SRK options like heated seats and a radio, personally I am a fan the old KISS design philosophy, figure the fewer options I have the fewer things to go wrong!
    Go To Post #1
I agree, Ben. If you´ve got your needs fully catered for with other vehicles, the SRK might well be best suited for short trips around town. As a biker, I know full well the effect of a very hot saddle! And as a glider pilot, I know how dangerous heat build-up under a plexi roof can be.

BTW, my granddaughter phoned me yesterday to report on her first prob with the nerw Smart: one of the tyre pressure indicators was faulty and the warning light was on the blink!

As for owning more than one vehicle, I´d have to move out of the city centre. All I need is a very small vehicle to get me through the urban congestion as fast as a butcher´s dog. The price is no object.
    Go To Post #1
Re: Heat trap roof panels.

The first thing I intend to do with my SRK is take it down to the local auto glass place and have them apply the heaviest, darkest, most reflective window tint they have.  If the compound curve proves to make that too difficult, there is always paint.  This is Kansas.  There's nothing to look 'up' at... Big Grin
    Go To Post #1
Living in the mountains, I would really like a clear roof. There is all that scenery above me. Just seeing it in peripheral vision is great. It is one of the advantages of a motorcycle. Perhaps a cloth cover that could be stretched over it would solve the problem.