The Fate of the Three-Wheeler
    Go To Post #1
The problem with the iRoad is that it is ONLY an urban vehicle. How many people are going to buy a vehicle that won't go over 35-40 mph, and has a range of just 25-30 miles?

The iRoad is great as a commuter, and would be FANTASTIC as a "last 5 miles to work" vehicle. Park them at rail/trolley/bus station, commuter jumps in and drives 2-5 miles to work, and it autonomously drives back to the station (unless user pays for keeping it at work site). Or as replacement for/supplement to taxis for small cities.

But I don't see them selling too many (unless the driver gets perks, such as a reserved lane during rush hour to avoid congestion).
    Go To Post #1
I used to be tough. I may give the SRK a try during snowy road conditions to confirm handling in that driving environment, but I would still worry about the gal in the Subaru losing control,sliding into my SRK, and knocking me out into a snow drift without the hard shell enclosure panels.

(05-01-2017, 09:16 PM)SparkE Wrote: The problem with the iRoad is that it is ONLY an urban vehicle. How many people are going to buy a vehicle that won't go over 35-40 mph, and has a range of just 25-30 miles?

The iRoad is great as a commuter, and would be FANTASTIC as a "last 5 miles to work" vehicle. Park them at rail/trolley/bus station, commuter jumps in and drives 2-5 miles to work, and it autonomously drives back to the station (unless user pays for keeping it at work site). Or as replacement for/supplement to taxis for small cities.

But I don't see them selling too many (unless the driver gets perks, such as a reserved lane during rush hour to avoid congestion).
I would in a heartbeat.  It would meet 75% of my daily commuting needs providing it has a cup holder that doesn't spill hot coffee during the tilt.

Go To Post #1
The least of my worries is being knocked into a snowdrift with open sides. As a cross-country skier I am used to getting partly buried in snow. My big worry is about being T-boned and getting hurt. Doors don't give much protection - they just crush inwards. The roll cage and 4-point harness should make the SRK about as safe in that situation as a car.
    Go To Post #1
Funny. I got T-boned a year ago and one of my first thoughts was "what if that had happened in an SRK?" That's pretty much the worst case scenario for the design, I think. Would I have tipped over, gotten pushed away, or gotten squashed like a bug?

I'm not super concerned, but I am looking forward to seeing crash simulation results.
    Go To Post #1
My estimate is that in a survivable T-bone accident, an SRK would be pushed aside more than a car, and the roll bars would be bent. The 4-point harness would be essential to avoid or reduce injury. How a Solo would fare depends on construction details that I haven't seen. I hope both companies will release results of crash test simulation, but I won't hold my breath. I want to know what the risks are in anything I do, but I suspect most people just want to pretend there aren't any risks.
    Go To Post #1
EMV stated that Canadian compliance testing requires crash testing, so those results will no doubt be available soon.  

Jerry Kroll states, "driving the SOLO is like riding around in a safety helmet."  Smile

The reality is there are risks stepping into the shower and or driving a small three wheeler open or enclosed motorcycle, but both the SOLO and SRK will be safer than your average motorcycle.  Market Acceptance by the driving public of either commuter vehicle............... to be determined...........if they can just get one to market.  .

Go To Post #1
Riding a motorbike is generally considered to be dangerous. i´ve only owned high poweed, large capacity, competition bikes for more than twenty years (I do not own a car), and have been riding bikes for over sixty years. Young males are particularly at risk. But over 30s are statistically nor more at risk than in a car. Having owned two different three wheelers in the past, I can judge that, under normal circumstances, a motorbike is safer to ride than a three wheeler. This seems to be generally accepted by all who have experienced both. (Just try out fast turns on a pedal powered tricycle!)

I would consider Kroll´s statement: "driving the SOLO is like riding around in a safety helmet" to be highly disingenuous. If safety is the main concern, the SRK would be the obvious choice.
    Go To Post #1
paravil, do you know where to find statistics about "over 30s are statistically no more at risk than in a car?" There are lies, damn lies, and statistics, and it is almost impossible to find trustworthy statistics on motorcycle or trike safety. According to US government statistics, motorcycles are about 21 times more dangerous than cars, and older riders are more at risk. https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/motorcycles/

The 3-wheelers you owned in the past, would they actually tip in a turn?

This reminds me of an early childhood memory. My little sister tried to ride a tricycle down the stairs, which didn't work out so well. So she stuffed it in the trash can, saying "bad tricycle."
    Go To Post #1
We need to wait to see what the crash testing simulations and or testing reveal about safety comparisons made to the SOLO and SRK.  Speculation doesn't work for me.

Side impact in the SOLO indicates either impact to the composite frame  or the Solo sits so low that the bumper takes my head off.  The SRK indicates not much between the driver or passenger in a side impact sitiuation.

Go To Post #1
That´s correct, Rick! .... and is a lot better than Kroll´s sakes pitch about "riding around in a safety helmet."

Dan, I was quoted the statistics concerning the age related `danger´ of riding a motorbike during a bikers´ safety course organised by the Berlin police force.
Ther Bond Bug I once owned really did try an tip over whenever it was cornered too fast. The Messerschmitt (powered single rear wheel) went over quite often. Both were prone to turning 180 degrees (or more) on slippery surfaces.

Quads are NOT crash tested in Europe. They only have to be mechanically reliable.