Backing Up
    Go To Post #1
I always believed that backing up the FUV could be somewhat hazardous since it did not have any backup lights and it made virtually no noise. With pedestrians being distracted by their smartphones, this was a recipe for disaster. So I installed backup lights and a backup beeper. I also added a "kill" switch on the handlebar. The switch was added so I wouldn't disturb my neighbors (I park the FUV backwards in the garage).

I may add a backup camera later but this solution provides the audio/visual cues to those behind me.

[Image: IMG-5461.jpg]

Side Note: I posted this mod in this forum and not on Facebook. Although I have posted in the FB group, it's really not my first choice.
    Go To Post #1
I've been thinking about hooking up a reverse light - do you have the model of light you used?

I've been thinking of putting in one reverse light, and a backup camera in the spot for the other reverse light.
    Go To Post #1
(10-12-2020, 05:29 AM)CharonPDX Wrote: I've been thinking about hooking up a reverse light - do you have the model of light you used?

I've been thinking of putting in one reverse light, and a backup camera in the spot for the other reverse light.

The lights I installed came from Arcimoto. They came with the connectors already on the leads. If you can't get the lights from Arcimoto, I found these lights on Amazon that's a pretty close match: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MH...UTF8&psc=1

The lights are super easy to install. Remove the cargo box and you'll see the female connectors for the lights. Arcimoto was nice enough to leave the connectors in place.

The lights are not very bright but they get the job done. I tried another light that was rated with a higher lumen rating. I found that the OEM lights did a better job. The Amazon light listed above came in a close second.

For my installation, I made a Y-adapter. The single end plugs into the OEM connector.  One the Y end, one goes to the light and the other goes to the backup beeper switch. 

I used the same type of connectors and that was bit pricey because I bought a crimp tool made for the connectors. The tool did a great job.
    Go To Post #1
(10-12-2020, 04:43 PM)FUV Dave Wrote: the Y end, one goes to the light and the other goes to the backup beeper switch.

I used the same type of connectors and that was bit pricey because I bought a crimp tool made for the connectors. The tool did a great job.

Can you share the backup beeper, switch, connectors and crimp tool? I had bought similar Amazon LEDs a while ago (the Meerkatt ones listed on FB), and I want to have everything ready before I remove the trunk. I was not intending to install a backup beeper because I don't *need* it, but there are times at busy parking lots where I wish I had it just to alert people.

(10-12-2020, 05:29 AM)CharonPDX Wrote: I've been thinking of putting in one reverse light, and a backup camera in the spot for the other reverse light.

That's my plan too! I think one of my motorcycle dvrs has a camera that can peek through the hole, I just haven't figured out how to make sure water doesn't leak.
    Go To Post #1
(10-19-2020, 05:25 AM)Odi Wrote: Can you share the backup beeper, switch, connectors and crimp tool? I had bought similar Amazon LEDs a while ago (the Meerkatt ones listed on FB), and I want to have everything ready before I remove the trunk. I was not intending to install a backup beeper because I don't *need* it, but there are times at busy parking lots where I wish I had it just to alert people.

That's my plan too! I think one of my motorcycle dvrs has a camera that can peek through the hole, I just haven't figured out how to make sure water doesn't leak.

From Newark: Click on item
2 Position Receptacle
2 Position Housing
20AWG Pin
20AWG Socket
Cable Seal

For the beeper, I also bought:
Heat Shrink Boot
Perma-Seal Ring Connector

From Online Components
Crimping tool (Get ready for sticker shock) Although really pricey, it does make perfect crimps.

Backup Beeper (no link)
Federal Signal Model 252-012-048
[Federal Signal is the same company that makes emergency lights and sirens. I bought mine on eBay. I have seen it on Amazon but their most recent price is too high. I paid less than $30 for mine].

Switch
[+] 1 user Likes FUV Dave's post
    Go To Post #1
Thanks for all the links!
[+] 1 user Likes Odi's post