Back-Up Camera
    Go To Post #1
There are many back-up cameras on the market, each with their pros and cons. I did not need the ability to record so that helped narrow down the field. I had my sights on a Garmin system after I used one of their systems on our former Slingshot. The Slingshot came with an OEM backup camera but I used the Garmin cameras in an unconventional way. I installed a camera on the front and on the right side of the Slingshot. This aided in parking the Slingshot because it had a long front end and helped prevent curb strikes on the side.

Anyway, back to the FUV. I got a Garmin DriveSmart 55 with the BC40 camera (link takes you to the Garmin website. I purchased mine through Amazon). The camera comes with an aluminum mounting bracket that is sized for a car's license plate. I simply had to cut it down to size and mounted it so the camera is on the bottom. I thought that if the camera was on top it would obstruct the plate light. The camera is powered by two AA batteries (lithium) that should last about a year. The camera is wireless so there are no wires to run. You just simply tap the blue button on the 55's display to connect to the camera. There is a slight delay while the 55 connects. So far my early tests have been positive.

The angle of the camera can be adjusted. I have mine pointed down slightly so I can better see the tape on the garage floor.

[Image: IMG-5474.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5473.jpg]

The DriveSmart 55 does come with a suction cup mount. I opted to go with a roll bar clamp mount instead. I have it mounted where a typical rear view mirror would be. I may change this as I found that looking up at the display can be problematic if the sun is in front of me. I don't know - the jury is still out. I ordered a custom made USB cable to power the DriveSmart through the FUV's USB port. I don't have the cable yet so the 55 is using its internal battery for now.

[Image: IMG-5475.jpg]

This is the license plate mount that comes with the BC40 camera. I used my bandsaw to cut it down to size. Drilled two 1/4" holes for the license plate mounting screws. Easy.
[Image: Garmin-BC40.png]
This is not a perfect setup. But it works for me...for now.
[+] 1 user Likes FUV Dave's post
    Go To Post #1
[Image: D7-DDA803-6-D3-D-48-AB-846-A-64-CC02-D95-A93.jpg]
Here is my backup camera/rear view mirror/dash cam installed in Goldie II
[+] 2 users Like CreativeGuy's post