FUV gets 173.7 MPGe ???
    Go To Post #1
(12-14-2020, 08:01 PM)ben Wrote: The FUV can reach a top speed of 75 mph (121 km/h) and sports an estimated city range of 102.5 miles (165 km). Arcimoto claims that the FUV reaches an efficiency of 173.7 MPGe.

https://electrek.co/2020/11/30/arcimoto-...c-vehicle/

I forgot to say that my Spark EV has (well, had when new) a city range of 110 miles - based on MY driving in the city. It had ~ 18.5 kWh battery. If the lighter FUV can't get better mileage than that ... well let's just say that there is room for improvement.
    Go To Post #1
(12-26-2020, 06:25 AM)CharonPDX Wrote: Yes, I think most people who call themselves environmentalists do understand the CO2 issues. The problem isn't those that understand, the problem is those who put their heads in the sand and willfully deny even attempting to understand.

My other EV is a BMW i3. (Which was for a while the most efficient EV available until a Hyundai or Kia surpassed it.)

after reading a published study

Abstract

Of this article's seven experiments, the first five demonstrate that virtually no Americans know the basic global warming mechanism.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full...tops.12187

and then attending group meetings of local environmentals (i.e. https://sandiego350.org/about/) asking people what they knew about the actual physics, chemistry and math WRT to the role of CO2 in climate change,... personally have not found anyone in extended discussion that has a solid basic grasp of the basic science

the reason I'm concerned about the lack of specific scientific knowledge about climate change is because as time goes on, there will be more turbulent symptoms of climate change which is going to show up in the economic realm,... the point being if people don't understand the problem AND suffer as a result, there will be social unrest

As European CO2 Rules Bite, Auto Manufacturers Will Suffer While Public Anger Builds

By 2030, when EU rules demand 92 average miles per gallon for cars and SUVs, the European industry is likely to be on its knees, citizens will be forced to take the bus to work because cheap cars have been priced out of the market, while the unemployed in auto manufacturing will be demanding an explanation from politicians.

...as the current regulations kick in, big auto makers face balance-sheet threatening fines if they can’t meet them. Fines will wipe out hard won profits and incur massive expenses to actually develop the technology to make battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in electric hybrids (PHEV). (PHEVs have batteries with a range of some 30 miles before ICE kicks in.) Bottom lines will be threatened. It will be an existential risk for some.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/...er-builds/

for a while thought about buying an off lease BMW i8 as my first EV, but had a BMW 540 w/ a manual transmission (that depreciated like a rock as well as had a long series of high cost service bills) so for those reasons decided I've not so fond of owning BMW,...

kinda also looked at the i3 tech stuff, liked that the product was made out of carbon fiber (which made the structure lite and strong), but another check mark against BMW in my eyes is found out they sold off interest in carbon fiber manufacturing

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/ar...anguage=en

years ago when I first encountered the SRK in real life (now the FUV), thought the fastest way to get the over all weight down a couple hundred pounds would be to build the whole upper tube vehicle frame out of carbon fiber, but I also know doing so is cost prohibitive
    Go To Post #1
Carbon fiber would not be a good choice for the rollover structure. It would shatter rather than bend and absorb energy. If it were strong enough not to shatter, it would transmit more energy to the occupants.

Europe will adapt to EV requirements much faster than the US. They have a much better public transport infrastructure. They have a much better selection of energy efficient vehicles and EVs. If I lived in a free country I could import one of those, but I live in the US. I have FUV reservation number 1007 and I still have no idea when or whether I will be able to get an FUV.
    Go To Post #1
(01-04-2021, 03:56 PM)DanCooper Wrote: Carbon fiber would not be a good choice for the rollover structure. It would shatter rather than bend and absorb energy. If it were strong enough not to shatter, it would transmit more energy to the occupants.

Europe will adapt to EV requirements much faster than the US. They have a much better public transport infrastructure. They have a much better selection of energy efficient vehicles and EVs. If I lived in a free country I could import one of those, but I live in the US. I have FUV reservation number 1007 and I still have no idea when or whether I will be able to get an FUV.

having been introduced to experimental composition aircraft long ago, I'm well aware of composition aircraft structures shattering in a crash event,... also FWIW one of the things that passed through my mind the first time I took the FUV on the interstate freeway is I'm on a motorcycle w/ out a brain bucket

having flown aircraft w/ 5 point restraints and knowing about how automotive racing seats have "side to side" head protection, if money was no object, it would be an interesting engineering project to build an FUV w/ really strong carbon roll cage (that would not shatter) AND have a redesigned "racing" seat w/ a that would offer "side to side" head protection in the event of a crash

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/should-you-...treet-car/

given the product being delivered,... borrowing concepts from aviation training and automotive racing, one thing IMHO that would be helpful for any one who buys an FUV would be to have a closed course where people can experience going up/down extreme grades, maneuvering around tight obstacles, operating on really slick surfaces (i.e. after a rain storm), etc.

here in the USA (the land of the free), there are too many IMHO that are able to pass the dumbed down drivers license requirements, in the long run everyone would be safer if drivers in this country followed the German approach (of really being tested which is designed to make people serious about driving)

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/why-ge...-done.html
    Go To Post #1
(01-04-2021, 03:56 PM)DanCooper Wrote: If I lived in a free country I could import one of those, but I live in the US. 

I don't think you fully understand the amount of govt invasion into private lives in other countries. As a simple example, in France today, in order to leave your home you MUST have a permission form stating WHY you left your home, or face a ~$250 fine (first offense). Now, this is a recent thing, due entirely to COVID, but saying you don't live in a free country is ... shortsighted.
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
    Go To Post #1
I lived in France for ten years and I felt much more free there than I do in the US. Take the COVID thing. I am doubling down on isolation because others in my community are ignoring the law, my safety, and their own safety. Another example. The freedom to move in nature is one of the most important freedoms to me. Hiking in France, I would frequently come to a gate with a sign "Private property. Please stay on the trail, keep your dog on leash, and close the gate behind you." People respected private property. In the US it is "Trespassers will be prosecuted." People trespass anyway, leave gates open, and throw trash. It is law-abiding citizens like myself who lose their freedom. Also, in France, car drivers are respectful of bicyclists. No pickups rolling coal on me or seeing how close they can come to sideswiping me. To get back on topic, one of the main attractions of the FUV for me is the safety of its structure, considering that small vehicles are at such risk of being hit by large ones.
    Go To Post #1
(01-06-2021, 02:40 PM)DanCooper Wrote: I lived in France for ten years and I felt much more free there than I do in the US. Take the COVID thing. I am doubling down on isolation because others in my community are ignoring the law, my safety, and their own safety. Another example. The freedom to move in nature is one of the most important freedoms to me. Hiking in France, I would frequently come to a gate with a sign "Private property. Please stay on the trail, keep your dog on leash, and close the gate behind you." People respected private property. In the US it is "Trespassers will be prosecuted." People trespass anyway, leave gates open, and throw trash. It is law-abiding citizens like myself who lose their freedom. Also, in France, car drivers are respectful of bicyclists. No pickups rolling coal on me or seeing how close they can come to sideswiping me. To get back on topic, one of the main attractions of the FUV for me is the safety of its structure, considering that small vehicles are at such risk of being hit by large ones.

just as I think things can't get weirder there are event's that happen like yesterday in Washington DC

[Image: bb1177f2-3361-439c-9d02-e9ca868586e8.jpg]

Two MAGA fans die and go to heaven.

They ask God if he’d answer one question.

“Of course,” God says.

They ask how the Democrats rigged the election in 2020.

“It wasn’t rigged,” God replied.

MAGA fans look at one another and say, “This conspiracy goes higher than we thought!”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13660033/m...biden-win/

the two things that gives me great hope in the country is people still have a sensor of humor AND companies like arcimoto are moving forward on plans to producing products that directly address big problems

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/arcimoto-...00471.html
[+] 1 user Likes ben's post
    Go To Post #1
I am Schroedinger's cat. I am locked in a box, in an undefined state. I am an American, proud to be part of a democracy, working for a sustainable future, and I will have a FUV by the end of the year. And I am a refugee, making a new life in an old country, where there is such a thing as solidarity. I won't know which until the box is opened and the observation is made. And I am not sure when the box will be opened.
    Go To Post #1
Here is a question. If you put studded snow tires on an FUV, would the front wheels be sufficient or should they be on all three?
    Go To Post #1
Front should be fine - like any front-wheel-drive four-wheel vehicle.