Photoshop Fun
    Go To Post #1
Dan, this is the one I restored (on an East German airfield, just while the Russians were leaving). The airfield commander offered to sell be the `copter in the background!
[Image: Scan.jpg]

upload

for

forums

(10-24-2016, 03:38 PM)Kepesk Wrote: They did suggest that the latest render will not likely be the final product, but they also never claimed that the "eagle wing door" (as they call it) would be the final design either.  Anything could still happen.

Yes: " Anything could still happen." ..... or nothing ....
    Go To Post #1
Nice Cub. Do you still fly? I used to own a Taylorcraft, but I think the Cub is the most fun airplane I have flown.

I once met C. G. Taylor, who designed both the Cub and the Taylorcraft. I asked him how he designed the Taylorcraft. He said "I took everything that was wrong with the Cub and fixed it." The Taylorcraft ended up with side by side seating, a control wheel like a car, and a semi-symmetrical airfoil. It was a good 13 knots faster than the Cub with the same engine, but I think it gave up some of the joy of flying.

I read a 1946 aviation magazine that was devoted to columns written by aviation company executives. All of them waxed enthusiastic about how there was going to be an airplane in every garage, and airplanes would be as common as cars. The one dissenting voice was William Piper. He said "Gentlemen, let's not fool ourselves. We are only selling to enthusiasts." Two years later, he was one of the very few still in business.

Until fossil fuels get a whole lot more expensive than they are now, I think the only customers for electric trikes will be enthusiasts. I hope Arcimoto is taking this into account in their production plans. So far, most electric trike makers have gone broke, and I think a major cause is misunderstanding the market.
    Go To Post #1
Paravil, Nothing could happen?   As the acting President of the Three Wheeler Skeptics Club my gut feeling is your idea that "nothing could happen" is off the table at this point in the A Team's R&D.  

The enclosure panels are the easiest piece of the production SRK.  It's a body panel not a drive train issue.  Yes, a glimmer of optimism regarding the A Team's business model.

Go To Post #1
(10-25-2016, 03:10 PM)DanCooper Wrote: Nice Cub.  Do you still fly?  I used to own a Taylorcraft, but I think the Cub is the most fun airplane I have flown.

I once met C. G. Taylor, who designed both the Cub and the Taylorcraft.  I asked him how he designed the Taylorcraft.  He said "I took everything that was wrong with the Cub and fixed it."  The Taylorcraft ended up with side by side seating, a control wheel like a car, and a semi-symmetrical airfoil.  It was a good 13 knots faster than the Cub with the same engine, but I think it gave up some of the joy of flying.

I read a 1946 aviation magazine that was devoted to columns written by aviation company executives.  All of them waxed enthusiastic about how there was going to be an airplane in every garage, and airplanes would be as common as cars.  The one dissenting voice was William Piper.  He said "Gentlemen, let's not fool ourselves.  We are only selling to enthusiasts."  Two years later, he was one of the very few still in business.

Until fossil fuels get a whole lot more expensive than they are now, I think the only customers for electric trikes will be enthusiasts.  I hope Arcimoto is taking this into account in their production plans.  So far, most electric trike makers have gone broke, and I think a major cause is misunderstanding the market.

No, Dan. I gave it up about a couple of years back. I´d restored it in Ceconite and realised that it wouldn´t last for ever. The Conti C65 was getting problematic (oil pressure) and I wasn´t sure whether my hearing would pass many more medicals. My Armstrong starter (me) wasn´t accepted in some of the major airfields. All in all .... `twas the end of the road. But it was an aircraft that I could do wondrous things in (my slip landings were sometimes well worth the meagre fees I earned at demo airshows).

[Image: J2272x1712_05787.jpg]
    Go To Post #1
I sold the Taylorcraft when the C-65 needed an overhaul and I couldn't afford it. Flying has gotten a lot more expensive and is just out of my reach now. I always thought the most fun flying was no radio, no bureaucrats in the cockpit (by radio), and grass strips where people hang out who just love flying. That kind of flying is getting scarce.

I am glad the Arcimoto is to be licensed as a motorcycle. The regulations on cars are almost as bad as airplanes now. In Europe there are many cars more efficient than a Prius, but we can't import them into the USA, even one-off for an individual. I thought it would be neat to have an all-wheel drive SUV that could get 60 miles per gallon. I found that the Peugeot 3008 diesel hybrid met the specifications. I asked my state Department of Transportation what it would take to license one here. They said first I would have to import six of them for crash testing, and that would only be the start.
    Go To Post #1
Here is a sketch of what an SRK might look like with a Cub-type door.

[Image: render3.png]
    Go To Post #1
I got bored.
[Image: Vintage_SRK.png]