Brake Configuration
    Go To Post #1
So what is the final configuration between the regen hand brake and the pedal?

How does the regen lever work? Is it "automatic", as in one consistant amount of braking/regen once you engage...

Or does the regen (and braking) increase with increased application on the lever and decrease with less lever applied?

Does the pedal apply standard braking to all three wheels?

How about the ebrake? Does it lock up all three or just the back or front wheels?
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
My understanding of how it works: The regen lever is proportional. The harder you squeeze it, the more braking, front wheels only. It cannot lock the wheels, because regeneration only works when the wheels are turning. The foot pedal actuates hydraulic brakes on all three wheels. They say you hardly ever have to use the foot pedal. I would use it for stopping on a slope, and for maximum braking like if someone suddenly stops in front of me. So don't get out of the habit of using it that you would forget it in an emergency. Like me, I use a horn so rarely that I don't think of it when someone is about to do something stupid in front of me.
    Go To Post #1
I don't remember seeing official word on this, but my understanding is that they're keeping the dual brake setup, with the regent hand brake and the hydraulic foot brake. At least that's how it appears to work in the signature series vehicles.

The regent brake is pressure-sensitive, meaning that it brakes harder the more you squeeze the lever.
    Go To Post #1
It would be nice to see a regen braking distance table that shows how long it takes the FUV to come to a full stop at various speeds using regen braking only. For that matter, this would be useful info for the standard hydraulic disc brakes as well.
    Go To Post #1
I have regen on my EV truck-  It has some characteristics of what I think the FUV has. I suspect that the fUV will have stronger braking than my truck which  is limited at total braking power by a setting in the controller but the FUV has variable braking up to a point which will probably be factory set,. I have two setting options but even the more powerful I keep on the  light side because the truck is rear wheel drive and on a slippery road you can get into trouble with an over braked rear wheel.  It can be moderated by the throttle when going down a gradual slope..   On flat roads we can easily come to a stop with regen but on a down slope, even slight we have to use the foot brake. And when stopped at a light or stop sign if there is any slope either direction we have to apply foot brakes. If the slope is backwards we can use throttle to hold place but I do not like to do that. There is also the times the light changes quickly, some one cuts you off, or other surprises that mean fast stop and the foot brake will do that but putting on the regen will help.  So have no fear of forgetting about the foot brake.
 The one issue I see is using regen on a fully charged battery.  A "93 factory built electric Dodge Caravan  i am working on has a switch to turn on and off regen which says "do not use regen after recharging until you have gone 10 miles". This is to protect the batteries. It will be interesting how Arcimoto handle this- we have a sharp down hill right after leaving our house and I always switch our regen to low power to not over charge the batteries.
    Go To Post #1
On the Prius, regen braking is atuomatic. There is a "B" setting on the transmission control that makes it more aggressive, for going down hills. When the battery is full, the power is used to spin up the engine for engine braking.It takes a bit to get used to the engine slowing down when you press the accelerator. I think the Arcimoto arrangement is much better. If the battery is full, ideally it would shunt the power to a resistor bank. If I press the regen lever, and suddenly nothing happened, it might be a hazard. But this will rarely happen in an EV, and I can get used to it. I live 1300 ft above town. If it is charged at home, I will know not to use regen braking at all until I draw down the battery some. Or to save energy, I would want to not fully charge it if I am planning to go down the hill. To go up the hill for skiing, I would want to start with a full charge.
    Go To Post #1
It's been a while since I test drove the prototype SRK, but I remember the variable regen braking capability.  I liked it.  As such, my wife and I recently purchased a 2015 BMW i3 and I've come to discover regenerative braking is a welcome experience.  Release the pedal slowly, moderate braking.  Release the pedal quickly, aggressive braking. This process makes one-pedal driving quite convenient and effortless in everyday traffic.  I imagine when the FUV rolls around, I'll be readily familiar with this aspect.  

It's so funny... I've been a die-hard manual transmission guy for decades and now I find myself embracing electric with almost the same enthusiasm.  But my affinity for vintage hardware hasn't abated.  If I put my Triumph Spitfire and an FUV side-by-side, I'd have a tough time deciding which tool to use for corner carving.  And that's at good thing!
    Go To Post #1
From Dan:
"I live 1300 ft above town. If it is charged at home, I will know not to use regen braking at all until I draw down the battery some. Or to save energy, I would want to not fully charge it if I am planning to go down the hill. To go up the hill for skiing, I would want to start with a full charge."

This should be another topic but what the hay.  There is another factor in regards to the full battery.  In working out options for an EV I am working on,  I was told the optimum battery usage methods ;

Long Battery Life for Lithium:
What we've heard from reliable sources and manufacturers based on on-the-road research:
- like to be long term stored at about 55% capacity. 
- like their temperature to be cool but never charging below freezing. 
- higher temperatures provide higher charge capacities, but excessive temperatures can damage the batteries (Arizona/Nevada Leaf issues)
- High charge rates (DC fast charge) are not damaging as long as temperature is managed
- Charging above 90% or discharge below 10% on a regular basis will reduce life. This is proportional to how close to 100% and 0% the charge reaches, so mid range is better yet, but I shoot for about 90% unless I have a long trip.

I charge my E-truck to 4.1 volts per cell   (4.2 is max) and that is about 95%. 
My point is that if you charge to a lower value you will have some margin to regen after charging.   I am not yet sure how adjustable the charge voltage will be on the FUV.  I will definitely find out when I pick up my SS.  and I will also check out stopping distances and how it handles regen on a full battery.
    Go To Post #1
I wonder if Eric would be able to tell us if there's a safety mechanism on the FUV...
That would somehow prevent the regen from attempting to further charge a fully charged battery.
I'm thinking that there has to be a fairly simple way to integrate something like that into the system.

Also, does anyone have any information on a parking brake?
Is there one? Is it mechanical, hydraulic or electric? How many wheels does it lock up?
Where is it located, how is it controlled and how exactly does it function?
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
The parking brake is now electric, with a switch on that new panel under the handlebars if I'm not mistaken.

Personally I prefer yanking on a lever. There's just something so satisfying about that. But hey, it's the future.