Trickle charge in cold
    Go To Post #1
From wiki

"lithium-ion battery technology, cannot be safely trickle charged. In that case, supervisory circuits (sometimes called battery management system) adjust electrical conditions during charging to match the requirements of the battery chemistry. For Li-ion batteries generally, and for some variants especially, failure to accommodate the limitations of the chemistry and electro-chemistry of a cell, with regard to trickle charging after reaching a fully charged state, can lead to overheating and, possibly to fire or explosion."

So basically I can't trickle charge my arcimoto when it's -40 f. Does anyone know what I can do to guarantee a safe start after 10 hours of sitting in a desolate parking lot at these temperatures? I seen on a Tesla video that it has an app to preheat the battery. Of something like that.

Also what kind of antifreeze do I use? Regular stuff at the store?
    Go To Post #1
It would be best to have AC power when it is outside and it is really cold, to charge it and to heat the battery. I would want to heat the cabin also (assuming there are doors) about an hour before I drive. A small space heater and a timer should do the job.
[+] 1 user Likes DanCooper's post
    Go To Post #1
The battery monitoring system should control any charge current no matter where or how long. After charging, the BMS can adjust voltages to “balance “the battery cells.
So there should be no issue....except you live where it gets down to -40!
[+] 1 user Likes Mendojen's post
    Go To Post #1
I have been told that it is not good to charge Lith battery when the battery is less than 32' F/ 0' C. You would need some sort of heat source to battery warm.
    Go To Post #1
*idea

I was dreaming of a way to preheat the battery without AC power. I imagined an idea of using those small green propane containers. The battery sitting on a pipe of propane exhaust. Seldomly used but very useful when needed.
    Go To Post #1
House or heated garage would nice
    Go To Post #1
to resurrect an old thread - officially the FUV will not charge if the battery is below freezing. The FUV has no battery heater. Thus if you park it outdoors (as I do,) it may become undriveable after a couple days below freezing due to inability to recharge.

I have already experienced this once, when I finished my day at ~40% battery, got home after dark, plugged in. When I went out the next morning, it had only charged to 45%.

Mark posted on Facebook that they are working on a battery heater system. I have volunteered to test it, but that offer hasn't been accepted. :-P
    Go To Post #1
Time to make friends with a neighbor with a garage, and room for a FUV ...
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post