A third EV has joined my FUV!
    Go To Post #1
And managed to fit three EVs in to one garage!

[Image: IMG-0656.jpg]

The Tesla Model S on the left (a 2014) is new. The Tesla and BMW have their charge ports on opposite sides, so this arrangements works well for the two of them - unfortunately to fit this way, the FUV has to be crammed way up like that, and the charge cord next to the Tesla won't reach with the Tesla there. (It will fit going directly to the FUV, though.)

Also, funny detail: all three have at least major components made in US West Coast states - the BMW i3's carbon fiber "life module" is made in Moses Lake, Washington; the FUV is of course made in Eugene, Oregon; and the Tesla is made in Fremont, California.
    Go To Post #1
Is the FUV just "for fun" ? Sort of like the weekend motorcycle?
    Go To Post #1
Right now, yeah, since I"m working from home. When I start going in to the office, it'll be the commuter on nicer days. (Outdoor parking, don't want to leave it sitting in the rain.) The BMW will be the commuter on worse days.

Going to get a Rivian R1T when they start shipping, haven't yet decided if it'll replace the BMW or the just-acquired Tesla. (Our second "regular car" just went away, and BMW+FUV just wasn't cutting it in the winter, with my wife driving the BMW to work every day, leaving just the FUV for me for errands. Teslas have ridiculous resale values, and we got a great deal, so we should be able to sell it for at least close to what we paid for it, maybe more; but we might decide we'd rather keep it than the BMW.)

Funny part was cramming all three into the garage. The BMW was so close to the FUV, there wan't room to walk past - but there WAS room between the Tesla and the FUV - so my wife just walked *THROUGH* the FUV to get to the BMW the next morning! (She doesn't want to drive the Tesla to work until she drives it in less time-pressure conditions over the weekend.)
    Go To Post #1
I suggest keeping the Tesla since you no longer have an ICE (or so I understood). Unless you are in the 10% (or 30%, or whatever) of situations where the supercharger network doesn't help you for your normal *travels*, there is nothing like a Tesla for the road trips. Very few other EVs charge that fast (only gas-mobiles, which are faster). Frankly, at the moment there are only two things that I would consider to replace my low-polluting ICE : (1) a Tesla, or (2) a plug-in hyrid (EV around town 99% of the time, 5 minutes to add 400 miles of range when on the road).

And you already have the Tesla, so ...

My first question was more of a "why a FUV *and* an i3"? They overlap in terms of utility (<100 mi range).
    Go To Post #1
While raw distance may be roughly equivalent between the two, the two are *COMPLETELY* different in actual utility.

FUV is absolutely a "fun vehicle" that happens to be able to carry two people and a tiny amount of cargo.

The i3 is a "car that is kind of fun" that can carry four people and a moderate amount of cargo.

Other than "one to two people going from one location to another in under 100 miles" there is *VERY* little overlap between the two vehicles. I wouldn't want to drive the FUV for any serious length road trip (even a 100 mile one, because of severe range reduction on the highway and slow charging,) and obviously *CAN'T* use it to take 3-4 people any distance, or carry even medium size cargo like some boards from the hardware store.

But it is more fun to drive around town than the i3. And it's more efficient than the i3, so in terms of absolute minimum impact/cost, it's better when it can accomplish the task.

It's like comparing a Harley to a BMW 5-Series. Sure, they both get you from point A to point B, so why would someone want both? Because even though they both do point A to point B, they are completely different vehicles.

As for which one we keep - the EV pickup will be the new road trip vehicle when it arrives, so that use won't matter to the one we're keeping. (And the Rivian will almost certainly charge faster than our older Tesla.)
    Go To Post #1
Did you give consideration to an Endurance, Cybertruck, or the others? What was it that made up your mind for the R1T?
    Go To Post #1
Well, we also have a preorder for a Cybertruck. We are…. skeptical of Lordstown.

Rivian over Cybertruck is mostly a matter of style. While we do prefer the specs of the Cybertruck, the Rivian just *looks* better. (I'm nobody to eschew "strange looking" vehicles, owning a BMW i3 and an Arcimoto, but the Cybertruck is even a bit too much for me.)