Is an AWD SRK possible?
    Go To Post #1
Arcisomnio, Arcivinco.  Future I dream, Future I conquer. 

I drive a lot.  Therefore, I think a lot.  When I consider my future vehicle purchases, I must take into consideration my environment.  It is weighted heavily.  Living in Massachusetts, any vehicle I own should be able to handle the rough four-season weather I am so blessed with.  If not, it becomes a seasonal vehicle, also known as a toy.  Or motorcycle...

My front-wheel-drive Toyota is a great car.  It is not great in the snow.  Before the Arcimoto, my next purchase was to be either a Subaru or a truck, to better deal with inclement weather.  I understand the need/desire for selectable drivetrains, as found in Jeeps and trucks, and selectable drive modes found in some cars.  But I like the idea of AWD.  Permanent, full-time AWD to me seems ideal.   

Here's my thinking:  I have driven front-wheel-drive for a long time.  Its easy to slide the back end around, as there is no control on those tires (steering or power).  Its also a lot of fun with a handbrake.  With the SRK, as much as I love almost everything about it, the back end gives me pause.  There are three things about the SRK I am curious about:  first is real-world range, second is doors, third is how the back end performs on bad roads. 

With the dispensing of drive shafts and the advent of electric motors powering individual wheels, and a software differential controlling motor speeds, is it possible that the most idyllic world for electric vehicles, especially reverse trikes, would be AWD? 

My question, then, is:  has anyone considered adding a third motor to the vehicle to power the rear wheel?  I know, let them have some success with, and enjoy, their current vehicle.  I'll certainly enjoy mine.  But that moto-somnius...
    Go To Post #1
According to Arcimoto's brief driving experience during the unusual Eugene snowfall, the SRK handled well.  I don't think the SRK with the center tracking rear wheel will handle well in freshly fallen, deep, heavy, wet snow regardless.  On those cold and snowy days I plan to park the FUV and drive the AWD SUV.  I'm assuming the SRK will handle 90% of my all seasons driving needs just as it is.  I prefer to avoid the added expense of AWD for the few days it may be needed.  If proven to have major advantage for year around driving, Arcimoto could offer an optional AWD SRK down the road, but the fewer manufacturer options the more efficient and cost effective the manufacturing process.

Winter tread front tires should provide added traction.  Also, I'm guessing the SRK's dual motor front wheel drive has better winter handling capabilities than the single rear wheel drive SOLO and SONDORs.

Go To Post #1
If I could have ridden my motorcycles in snow-covered, ice-riddled streets, I would have. I understand deep, heavy, wet snow is a problem for many vehicles, and the SRK would be at an added disadvantage with narrow-width drive tires. My thoughts are more for the typical winter day when temps are in the 10s or 20's (F, for Patrick!), there's nothing falling from the sky, and the roads have been snow- and ice-packed to driveable conditions. That is Massachusetts for 4 to 5 months, and I'm tired of spending money on a vehicle that sits for half the year. I will be watching with great intensity for any SRK snow romping this winter!

Does anyone even make a winter tire in the same narrow width?

I won't buy a single rear wheel drive vehicle, for that very purpose. The Spyder proved that point. SONDOR said in their video it was front wheel drive?
    Go To Post #1
Nope, SONDORs boasts a single rear wheel drive Protean Electric hub motor.  

I'm fairly certain that the SRK with enclosure panels and heat would meet our needs as a year around daily electric. Regardless of climate conditions, the SRK will be a supplement to the family car for most commuters.  I see the SRK parked only for a few winter days while roadways are plowed and traffic moves in normal winter driving conditions.  

The SRK front tires are standard off the shelf  145 65 r15.  Arcimoto stated they recall that there is a winter tread available.

Go To Post #1
Ok, well that answers that question! No Sondors for me.

And the SRK just took yet another giant leap forward in my book:
https://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-Blizz...B002GCBP5Y
    Go To Post #1
We will have to partner for the buy 4 get 1 free offer! Smile

Go To Post #1
Haven´t got time right now .... but I´m pretty certain I found the info that the Sondors is planned to have front WD on their spec. page.

My experience with three wheelers (two front -one rear) in heavy snow was that the rear wheel is left in the central pile of slush that is piled up by all the other four wheeled vehicles. The rear wheel then slides into either the right hand furrow or the other and the vehicles attempts to ground loop.
    Go To Post #1
Ok ... found it!:-

$10,000+ retail price
Three wheels - front wheel drive
Two front seats and one back seat
50, 100, and 200 mile range
Lithium Ion battery 0 to 60 Mph in 5 seconds
Charge with your regular 110V or 240V (2X charge)
Apple or Android smartphone or tablet is the dashboard
Choose a color: White, Black, Blue, Silver or Red
Sold online and delivered to your door
Included 6 tools to repair yourself or use the SONDORS app to get service
    Go To Post #1
(10-08-2017, 09:48 AM)paravil Wrote:    Three wheels - front wheel drive   

Yep. I posted a message on their Facebook page yesterday trying to make them aware of the discrepancy.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
CEO Sondors appears in a video of himself attempting to do a Steve Jobs, but (unlike Jobs) looks as if he doesn´t quite know about details such as whether the thing is planned with rear or front wheel drive. So it´s likely to be just one more colourful, Photoshop plastic ,midlife toy.