Car Sharing Is Coming!
    Go To Post #1
This Vice's "3rd Industrial Revolution" video is courtesy of Ben.
Also see: www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/energy-green/sd-fi-cleancar-expo-20180305-story.html
And: www.cnbc.com/video/2018/03/08/cramer-ride-sharing-is-killing-car-sales-and-its-going-to-get-worse.html
The whole concept is a shocker to some... Comments?

Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
    Go To Post #1
Shocking? No, just factual and logical. Rifkin is optimistic, looking towards a future that can work. I am much less optimistic. I see many industries and government fighting against these changes. If they win, they will become lords over a depopulated rubble.
    Go To Post #1
(03-17-2018, 01:51 PM)DanCooper Wrote: Shocking? No, just factual and logical. Rifkin is optimistic, looking towards a future that can work. I am much less optimistic. I see many industries and government fighting against these changes. If they win, they will become lords over a depopulated rubble.

yup, agree Rifkin is optimistic,... being a realist myself I think he may have discounted human greed and overall ignorance

http://www.TinyURL.com/DifferentDay

one thing I know pessimistic messages don't sell BUT an honest look at any situation (even if things look "pessimistic") is necessary to develop a strategy to overcome
    Go To Post #1
Berlin has several car sharing systems. I´ve got the apps but have never used them. I do need an alternative to my motorbike when the weather is inclement or I need to wear a suit, and I´ve tried to come to terms with car sharing. The app shows that cars are nearly always available quite near where I live. But if I use one and then park it where I want to go, I´be stuck without transport on my way back .... unless I were prepared to pay for the vehicle for a whole day. The only people who seem to use car sharing regularly are youngsters with an urge to trash a Mini for the price of a few minutes ride.

Car sharing and EV look like two of the most overrated ideas of the modern age (much like recycling trash that has taken a householder valuable time to sort into any number of categories; and is then tipped into a container to be incinerated - or sent to Asia to poison the environment over there).
    Go To Post #1
I toured the Athanor trash plant near Grenoble, France. The engineer/guide said that while Gernans will dutifully sort trash into 12 bins, the French won't. So the plant was designed to automaticallr separate all kinds of trash for recycling. It is the job of technology to make doing the right thing be the easiest thing also.
    Go To Post #1
I remain an unrepentant bigot
    Go To Post #1
(03-21-2018, 03:37 PM)DanCooper Wrote: I toured the Athanor trash plant near Grenoble, France. The engineer/guide said that while Gernans will dutifully sort trash into 12 bins, the French won't. So the plant was designed to automaticallr separate all kinds of trash for recycling. It is the job of technology to make doing the right thing be the easiest thing also.

Yeah - in San Jose, California they switched from "here are all these recycling bins for separating things" to "here is your ONE recycling bin" about 10 years or so ago. People either were throwing stuff into the non-recycling garbage bins, or not doing the right thing, so they had to sort everything anyhow. They changed the recycling "dis-assembly line" (the separating job) to be able to efficiently sort the recyclables and recycling rates went up by over 40% year-over-year.
[+] 2 users Like SparkE's post
    Go To Post #1
(03-21-2018, 07:51 AM)paravil Wrote: Berlin has several car sharing systems. I´ve got the apps but have never used them. I do need an alternative to my motorbike when the weather is inclement or I need to wear a suit, and I´ve tried to come to terms with car sharing. The app shows that cars are nearly always available quite near where I live. But if I use one and then park it where I want to go, I´be stuck without transport on my way back .... unless I were prepared to pay for the vehicle for a whole day. The only people who seem to use car sharing regularly are youngsters with an urge to trash a Mini for the price of a few minutes ride.

That type of car sharing does not meet the needs of a lot of people.   The ride share in the future will be using AI driven cars. The car comes and picks you up at your place and then drops you off where you are going. When ready to move on then you call another car that picks you up and takes you where ever. You pay by mile and the EV will be cheaper per mile.
    Go To Post #1
Ok, I realise that that´s what we´re aiming for. But, as there´s as yet no prototype running, no proof that the system can ever work, it´ll remain just a fond hope for any number of years. Until then, I would like a narrow, tandem, fully enclosed two seater with tilting wheels.

[Image: pic_004.jpg]
    Go To Post #1
(03-22-2018, 06:55 AM)paravil Wrote: Ok, I realise that that´s what we´re aiming for. But, as there´s as yet no prototype running, no proof that the system can ever work, it´ll remain just a fond hope for any number of years. Until then, I would like a narrow, tandem, fully enclosed two seater with tilting wheels.

[Image: pic_004.jpg]
The Helix styling appears to be as narrow, more aerodynamic, preferred styling to my eye, and as unlikely to deliver.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)