IRS Refund = Loan payoff = FUV!
    Go To Post #1
...Almost!  Cool

Now that I've paid off my last outstanding loan (Mortgage does not count.) I can start saving for the down payment & shipping required when I finally get notified it's my turn to order. (#2356)  Since the build deposit on the Evergreen is approximately 25% of the purchase price, I'm making a big assumption that 25% will be consistent with the basic + tailbox & battery options I will order.
[+] 2 users Like jimball's post
    Go To Post #1
Awesome!!!
    Go To Post #1
That’s definitely calls for celebration!!!!!!!!!!!

Go To Post #1
Ironically, what convinced me to put down the $5k for my Evergreen was paying off my last outstanding loan *INCLUDING* Mortgage!
[+] 2 users Like CharonPDX's post
    Go To Post #1
(03-31-2019, 05:53 AM)CharonPDX Wrote: Ironically, what convinced me to put down the $5k for my Evergreen was paying off my last outstanding loan *INCLUDING* Mortgage!

The only things I ever bought where I didn't have the money saved up and could pay cash were houses.
[+] 2 users Like SparkE's post
    Go To Post #1
(03-31-2019, 05:56 AM)SparkE Wrote: The only things I ever bought where I didn't have the money saved up and could pay cash were houses.
I’ve made a similar effort making purchases over the years.  We financed our first car with a three year new car loan, however, when it was paid off, we continued making car payments to ourselves and paid cash for all future vehicle purchases.  Currently driving the SUV we purchased new in 2005 and looking forward to driving the FUV in 2019.

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
    Go To Post #1
The first car I bought was a 10 year old piece-o-crap that I could afford. Started putting money aside for the next car the week after I bought it. 5 years later, (when the first car croaked) bought a better car. Ad infinitum.
    Go To Post #1
I’m also loan averse. I’ve never had a car payment. The way interest compounds was explained to me rather early so I don’t like paying 2-3 more than the original price. I have had a morgage for a few years but really hate those too.
    Go To Post #1
just wondering if anyone who bought into the evergreen edition used a credit card for the $5k down payment,... and thought about using it to pay off the rest of the balance? 

actually since I've saved up enough for an FUV and never had a new vehicle (always purchased "used" cars w/ cash as they say) and since I now know what I owe in taxes for 2018,... thought I'd treat my self to an evergreen edition if they have not sold out of the 100 spaces

as for the reason why I'm asking about using a credit card,... got the idea because I read an article that caught my eye a few years ago

Quote:Billionaire bought $170M painting with his Amex for the points

Using your credit card to buy a multimillion-dollar painting to collect Amex points? Priceless.

Chinese billionaire Liu Yiqian used his American Express card to buy Modigliani’s “Reclining Nude” at auction for $170 million on Nov. 9, according to reports.

He’ll use the points to fly himself and his family around the globe for free, his wife told the New York Times.

And it’s not the first time the billionaire has slapped an extravagant piece of artwork on his plastic.

In 2014, Liu used his Amex Centurion card to buy an ancient ceramic cup for $36 million.

That purchase earned him 422 million American Express points, which can be converted to more than 28 million frequent flyer miles — or about $180,000 worth of vouchers at Hong Kong retailer ParknShop, according to Bloomberg News.

https://nypost.com/2015/11/18/billionair...he-points/
    Go To Post #1
I used a credit card, not for the points, but because they let me know that I had two weeks to decide whether to take the plunge or wait, and my tax refund didn't arrive for five. I wouldn't consider using a credit card to be a great financial decision, but in this case it let us bridge that three week gap.