Team Oregon
    Go To Post #1
In looking around Oregon laws regarding motorcycle endorsements I found some confusing information. First it defines an autocycle as having a steering wheel.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1/...5/Enrolled
SECTION 2. “Autocycle” means a motorcycle that:
(1) Is manufactured to travel on three wheels;
(2) Has a steering wheel for steering control;
(3) Has nonstraddle seating; and
(4) Is equipped with a manufacturer-installed three-point safety belt or safety harness.

So the Arcimoto in Oregon is not an autocycle.

But then they carved out the Arcimoto for not needing a motorcycle endorsement:
(13) A person who does not hold a motorcycle endorsement may operate a motorcycle if the person is:
(a) Within an enclosed cab; [or]
(b) Operating a vehicle designed to travel with three wheels in contact with the ground at speeds of less than 15 miles per hour[.]; or
© Operating an autocycle

Thoughts?
    Go To Post #1
My State of Idaho uses the American Association of Motor Vehicle Manufacturer’s Autocycle (AAMVMA) Autocycle definition. Based on my recent inquiry regard change, it’s not going to happen. They feel the FUV is more like a motorcycle because of the handlebar steering, throttle, and hand re-gen braking.......with no mention of the hydraulic foot brake. Oddly, they have a photo of the Arcimoto SRK on the cover of their Manual. The SRK did have a steering wheel at the time.Smile

It’s the individual States determinaton to either amend the autocycle definition or as my ITD contact recommends include enclosed cabin language to the current MC endorsement regulation, similar to Oregon’s.

I contacted my State Reps a couple weeks ago regarding their interest in sponsoring and drafting the Bill, but little response at this point. Hopefully, Joel Sheltrown will have more success and handle it in those States that require an amendment to exempt the FUV.

Go To Post #1
I can see a police officer being confused with the language. I’m not sure what enclosed means. They should have said with a cover and approved roll cage or just roll cage.
    Go To Post #1
Michigan recently used this language: “roll bar or roll hoops”. I hope enclosure would be defined to avoid any confusion to include partial, full enclosure, ROPS. Frankly, ROPS or the roll bars/safety cage is far more important than simple enclosure panels.

I have full confidence that our politicians will get it right.................with Joel’s assistance. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post